I Just Felt My First Earthquake......

Lounge By Baker_Rose Updated 25 Aug 2011 , 2:59pm by SarahBeth3

Baker_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker_Rose Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 50

Wow. I'm surfing and typing and my house shook. I looked outside thinking something exploded over at the drilling company. An earthquake hit Virginia and we felt it good here in Western Pa!!!

Wow.

Tami icon_eek.gif

49 replies
JustBakedCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustBakedCakes Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 50

I felt it too!! Here in Norfolk ,VA. My whole house shook. Pretty freaky!!

QueDeeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueDeeCakes Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 6:52pm
post #3 of 50

My office building shook...and i'm on the 10th floor

Baker_Rose Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 7:04pm
post #4 of 50

It's probably nothing to the California dwellers, but wow, I didn't think I'd ever feel one at home. A 5.9 several hundred miles away!! What did it feel like in Richmond!!

Tami icon_confused.gif

trixieleigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trixieleigh Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 7:06pm
post #5 of 50

My dad felt it in Raleigh, NC too!

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 7:07pm
post #6 of 50

I am in Northern California and this is very normal for us... in the 1989 big earthquake in San Francisco/Bay Area, I experienced that.. it is a very weird feeling..

madicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madicakes Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 7:09pm
post #7 of 50

I felt it here in south-central PA too...my first one. Very weird feeling.

sheeny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheeny Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 7:11pm
post #8 of 50

I felt the tremors too... here in Toronto!

wafawafa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wafawafa Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 7:11pm
post #9 of 50

I ask GOD to keep you safe all , I heared about it in the news ((ALJAZEERA NETWORK)) ..oooh
I worry about you all, GOD BLESS U AND KEEP U SAFE AND PROTECT U

cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 7:14pm
post #10 of 50

We felt it here in Delaware too...pretty crazy!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 7:17pm
post #11 of 50

A 5.9 quake isn't too bad...the Loma Pretia quake in the San Francisco area in 1989 was 7.1, so it was more than 10 times as strong as today's quake.

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 7:22pm
post #12 of 50

I'm in the Shenandoah Valley, VA (45 minutes from the epicenter)...not so bad (it was my first too!). Scary at first just not knowing what it was...now all of us here in the office are laughing at the posts on facebook...it would be a different story had there been any damage (or maybe we just don't know it yet!)
Chris

Baker_Rose Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 7:27pm
post #13 of 50

It reminds me of the scene in the movie "L.A. Story" where they are having lunch and the quake is bad enough to move whole tables across the floor, yet no one seems to notice and they all go about their business.

My first reaction was for my 19 year old son. I went outside and when nothing seemed different, but all the chickens were throwing a F*I*T. I came back in a went to his bedroom and asked him "WHAT did you DO!!??" He didn't even notice, he's playing video games.

Tami icon_surprised.gif

Any advice from California for us NOOBs?? It was a very queasy feeling. How do you get through minutes of that without throwing up?

WillowsCry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WillowsCry Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 7:32pm
post #14 of 50

Well, the 3 tier wedding cake I was working on didn't collapse so I guess I stacked it well. At least I can tell the bride it was earthquake tested and approved. I'm in NC btw.

WillowsCry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WillowsCry Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 7:35pm
post #15 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker_Rose

My first reaction was for my 19 year old son. I went outside and when nothing seemed different, but all the chickens were throwing a F*I*T. I came back in a went to his bedroom and asked him "WHAT did you DO!!??" He didn't even notice, he's playing video games.

LOVE IT! icon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 7:36pm
post #16 of 50

Quakes rarely last for minutes...the Loma Pretia quake was only about 15 seconds, I believe today's was 30-45 seconds.

The 9.0 quake in Japan earlier this year lasted 3-5 minutes but that was very unusual -- that quake was more than 1000 times stronger than today's quake.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 7:48pm
post #17 of 50

Yeah I'm so upset because I DIDN'T feel it. I was out on the freakin' sidewalk taking a late lunch and did not feel a thing! Everyone in my office building felt it as well as my old employer across the street. My mom, husband, and friend felt it too. How the hell can you be out on the street and not feel a thing?

CarolinaCakeMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolinaCakeMom Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 7:52pm
post #18 of 50

We were shaking in Chapel Hill, NC. Lasted 4-5 seconds.

instant-gratificaketion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
instant-gratificaketion Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 7:56pm
post #19 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowsCry

Well, the 3 tier wedding cake I was working on didn't collapse so I guess I stacked it well. At least I can tell the bride it was earthquake tested and approved. I'm in NC btw.

LMAO! thumbs_up.gif

Glad you all are okay. I didn't feel a thing here in SE Texas. icon_lol.gif

knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 8:05pm
post #20 of 50

I'm in Sumter, SC and I didn't feel a thing. I'm so glad you all are safe, whomever felt it!!

Karadactyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karadactyl Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 8:12pm
post #21 of 50

Felt it here in good ol' central MD! I honestly thought it was my garage door opener!

SammieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SammieB Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 9:08pm
post #22 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baker_Rose

It reminds me of the scene in the movie "L.A. Story" where they are having lunch and the quake is bad enough to move whole tables across the floor, yet no one seems to notice and they all go about their business.

I LOVE THAT MOVIE! And outside of my family I don't know anyone who has seen it. I've tried to get my husband to watch it numerous times and he never has.

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 9:37pm
post #23 of 50

I was in Japan in 05 and felt an earthquake, yes, the earth does shift, I was sleeping on the floor in a traditional bed and you feel the earth actually shifting, took it well but don't want to experience it ever again. They are not as uncommon in us but rarely register high enough, my sister just told me her bed shook and her walls, we're in Philly

Darthburn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darthburn Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 9:42pm
post #24 of 50

In Southern California here... glad you're all safe... and...

Welcome to the club! You're no longer earthquake virgins! haha! icon_smile.gif

My prayers are with you all still pending hurricane Irene though. icon_smile.gif

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 9:57pm
post #25 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

Yeah I'm so upset because I DIDN'T feel it. I was out on the freakin' sidewalk taking a late lunch and did not feel a thing! Everyone in my office building felt it as well as my old employer across the street. My mom, husband, and friend felt it too. How the hell can you be out on the street and not feel a thing?

I'm in Southern CT this week and I didn't feel a thing. I was at the pool watching my kids and I felt the same way as you. How do you not feel anything when you are sitting in a chair at an outdoor pool! Maybe it didn't reach here, but everyone around us is saying they felt something.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 10:00pm
post #26 of 50

Felt it in NYC, too. Thought I was dizzy from eating so much candy. Hadn't experienced one for years, since I was a child in South America.

Yes, hope Hurricane Irene doesn't do much damage.

SuzyQ2505 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyQ2505 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 10:01pm
post #27 of 50

AnnieCahill, what were you drink,er having for lunch?!? I think I will stay in Wi. LOL

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 10:38pm
post #28 of 50

Seriously guys I didn't feel anything, neither did my friend who was with me. I felt so ripped off. As an earth science and geography major in college, it would have been a big deal for me to experience it first hand. But I talked to a few people at work who were out at the time and they said they didn't feel it either. So maybe I'm not crazy. icon_smile.gif

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 11:06pm
post #29 of 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowsCry

I can see your advertising now....."Earthquake tested, Mother Nature approved!!"

icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 11:35pm
post #30 of 50

Im in New York, on Long Island and I really thought it was me. I thought I was having some bizarre vertigo episode.

When I realized what it was, I could hardly believe it.

It was my first and hopefully my last earthquake. My heart goes out to all the people that have ever experienced that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%