Ugghh...no Time To Order Sps Plates. So Worried!!

Decorating By cakeflake80 Updated 23 Aug 2011 , 4:37pm by cakeflake80

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone! I have a three tier cake that was supposed to be for Sunday but the party got changed to Saturday, and they can only meet me on Thursday night to pick up the cake. I was going to place an order for SPS plates through Global Sugar Art tonight, because they always get here within two days. Problem is, that's not enough time to get them here before I need to start making this cake. Overnight shipping is beyond expensive, so that isn't an option at this time. I am freaking out because I haven't done at tiered cake without SPS in over a year! Is there anything similar that can be purchased at Michael's or AC Moore? I was thinking maybe the Wilton separator plates and hidden column things, but I have never used them before so don't know. Do the columns snap onto the plate legs?? Also, do I still put the cake on it's own cardboard round before putting it on the separator plate? Or do I just put the cake directly onto the plate? I'm also worried because the Wilton plates don't have that little 'nub' thing in the middle to help hold the cake in place! Does anyone have any experience with this system, and if so any basic instructions on how to assemble it? I tried Wilton's website but can't find any instructions on using it how I want to use it. And they all say to assemble at the site. I can't do that since the customer is meeting me and taking the cake with them (birthday party, not wedding). Any help is greatly appreciated!!

3 replies
megg5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megg5 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 4

I don't have an Answer for you, but I would be curious to know this too!

ChRiStY_71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChRiStY_71 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 4

How big are your tiers? If they aren't too big, couldn't you use bubble tea straws?

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 4:37pm
post #4 of 4

Well, the tiers are not big....just 10", 8'', and 6". I am just really scared to use bubble tea straws because that is what I used before I started using SPS. I had a cake disaster with a three tiered cake (same size) that was doweled with bubble tea straws and even had the wooden center dowel. I have never used anything else but SPS since that happened! If I were delivering it I would consider that an option, but since they are taking the cake with them I feel it might not be the best option.

Also, I was just searching again online....for anyone with knowledge of the Wilton system, what are the pegs used for?? I see them for sale online but it says 'not to be confused with dowel rods' or something like that. So are you supposed to use the pegs as well as the pillars?? I can't find any basic assembly directions anywhere....they only have them for the floating tiers assembly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%