Cream Cheese Icing Question For Wedding

Decorating By saucyred Updated 22 Aug 2011 , 5:22pm by saucyred

saucyred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saucyred Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone. I am new to the forum and am excited to be a part of it! I do a lot of 3d fondant cakes but have not done many orders with cream cheese frosting. I have an order coming up for a wedding that is a cake/cupcake combination with cream cheese frosting. I will be delivering the order to a location approx 45 minutes away, and will then be placing everything on a large cupcake stand at the reception hall which is at a restaurant. How long will this cake/cupcakes with the cream cheese frosting be able to stay at room temperature before becoming unsafe to eat? They are serving the cake and cupcakes after the meal but want them set up for show as the guests arrive. The more I think about this, the more I am thinking the stand will need to be set up later. Please help!

3 replies
CutieMcCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutieMcCakes Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 4

If I remember correctly, i think it is a 40 degrees at 4 hours rule. Your cold items get to and stay above 40 degrees, they aren't really food safe. Perishable items will need to be chilled down. Can you take the cake/cupcakes in a cooler or cold/insulated box? Can they chill them for you once you get there?

CutieMcCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutieMcCakes Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 4

sorry, i think i needed to clarify... if your cake/cupcakes/frosting stays at or above 40 degrees for more than 4 hours... it's not food safe.

saucyred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saucyred Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 5:22pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much for the info! I think my next step is going to be to contact the restaurant and check out the refrigeration situation there. I may need to set up the stand later in the day so everything stays cool. I hope the bride understands! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%