Beaver Cupcakes! How Much Should I Charge?

Baking By shuswapcakes Updated 23 Aug 2011 , 2:30pm by Tails

shuswapcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shuswapcakes Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 5:16pm
post #1 of 6

I made two dozen of these for my sister-in-law's birthday last month (no charge) http://www.easy-cake-decorating.com/beaver-cupcakes.html and now one of the ladies that was there wants to order three dozen from me for her son's birthday but I'm not sure what to charge for them?? Do you think $2.00 per cupcake is enough? Thanks! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 6

Hi,
I just saw the cupcakes, Taking in to account you would have used, all the cupcake ingredients, chocolate for the top, wafers, sweets for the eyes, icing and gum for the teeth I think you could charge more than $2! I'm from the Uk $2 is like £1.21 in british pounds, which isn't that much for elabrate cupcakes like that! How about $2.50 or $3 each and maybe just knock a couple of dollars off the total because she's buying 3 dozen?

Hope this helps, good luck! thumbs_up.gif

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 6

Our cupcakes start at $2.50 each, for those cupcakes we probably would have charged $3.50-4 each. We are in California where you are required to have a licensed and inspected commercial kitchen to sell food, if BC allows you to legally sell homemade food a price in the $3 range would probably work.

I don't think it's necessary to provide a discount for ordering 3 dozen, it's not like ordering a larger quantity is lowering your cost.

shuswapcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shuswapcakes Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 12:16pm
post #4 of 6

Okay I went with $3 per cupcake and she said that was fine icon_biggrin.gif Thank you! I live in a small town where I don't have the competition like I would in a big city, but at the same time people here seem to be so cheap! I've had so many arguments about "well I could buy that cheaper at costco" remark.... but that's another topic icon_mad.gif

Thanks again!

amaryllis756 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaryllis756 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 9:46am
post #5 of 6

Hi there
Those cupcakes are really cut. I didn't realize that there was a tail sticking out of his/her head until I read the instructions. LOL. Any way, I think $3 would be good. Here's a suggestion to keep your cost down. Why not make a chocolate ganache to dip in instead of using the fudge topping?

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 2:30pm
post #6 of 6

OT, but I hope she doesnt have kids cos those things are not kid friendly! (chewing gum on cupcakes?? what if someone swallows it? icon_eek.gif)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%