Any Ideas For Decorating A Cake For A New Us Resident?

Decorating By lstalder Updated 21 Aug 2011 , 1:55pm by playingwithsugar

lstalder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lstalder Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 3:53am
post #1 of 6

Any ideas out there for decorating a celebration cake for a man from Mexico who just officially became a US resident (this is a legal status but is different than being a citizen)? This was quite the process so a great celebration cake is in order.

5 replies
Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 8:26am
post #2 of 6

I'm not in the US but i would think the flag should be on there somewhere thumbs_up.gif

Perhaps do a vanilla cake, but use the zebra technique for the cake batter but in red white and blue colours (google zebra cake batter) so when the cake is served, the inside is festive too icon_smile.gif everyone always expects a chocolate cake or yellow, so it should be a nice surprise.

Maybe decorate the cake in the stripes of the flag (strips of fondant?) and make fondant/gumpaste stars in white and stand them up in the corner where the stars would be on the flag (making it multidimensional)?

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 8:54am
post #3 of 6

I agree with Tails something with the flag or the colors of the flag....here's a pic I found when I Google to find a pic.....

http://sweetdeserthome.blogspot.com/2010_09_12_archive.html

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 1:13pm
post #4 of 6

Or a Mexican and American flag together.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 1:36pm
post #5 of 6

I agree with idea of a zebra cake. I made one in rainbow colors and it was very easy to do. Plus it was very festive and unexpected. I would veto the Mexican flag on this cake. It sounds like he had to work very hard to get his residency papers. He left Mexico for a reason so don't wave the Mexican flag in his face.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 1:55pm
post #6 of 6

I get very emotional when I hear about events like this.

I would do a 3-D house cake, with a message saying "Welcome Home"

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%