Mm Fondant Issues (Im A N00B)

Baking By Tails Updated 22 Aug 2011 , 8:00am by Tails

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 12:04am
post #1 of 9

So I made MM fondant but I made a booboo and forgot to add the water to the mallow mixture...how will this affect it? I did add a tablespoon while I had it on the table but didnt want to add more in case I ruined it (sob!)

I kneaded it all by hand and it was going well but it started tearing in parts while still being sticky in other parts?? I guess it was dry from the powdered sugar, but my question now is, scan I add the water tomorrow and reknead before I use it or it is not salvagable?

I'm baking the cake tomorrow (its for my bday on Wed) so I hope I can use the mm fondant. Last q, a little unrelated, how long can a decorated cake keep? If I make it tomorrow (just a normal box mix *ducks*) will it keep til Wed? (I dont have time in the week to make it icon_sad.gif ) how would I store it til Wed?

Thanks in advance!!

Ps: didnt know if this should go in disasters or how to?

8 replies
TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 12:40am
post #2 of 9

I have left out the water before in MMF and it was fine. Not sure how it will be if you add water tomorrow but you can use a little crisco when kneading it if it's dry.

You can wrap the cake in saran wrap (REALLY well) then in aluminum foil and freeze the cake. Just take it out the day your going to make it and let it sit out until it thaws, just give yourself enough time for it to thaw completely.

Hope this helps...maybe some of the pros can help you more! Good luck with the cake!

nicnac78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicnac78 Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 12:49am
post #3 of 9

One of the first few times I made MMF I did the exact same thing. I did save it by slowly adding the water a teaspoon at a time untill it was completely absorbed. YOU WILL NEED TO KNEAD ALOT. Just keep your hands lightly covered in crisco as you work to deal with the sticky areas. If you have the option it would be much easier to start over learn from our lesson. Good luck!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 12:54am
post #4 of 9

If you decorate the cake on Sunday, it will be perfectly fine on Wednesday. No need to freeze.

ShandraB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShandraB Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 1:11am
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

If you decorate the cake on Sunday, it will be perfectly fine on Wednesday. No need to freeze.

Yep, I wouldn't bother freezing either.

Tails Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 7:42am
post #6 of 9

Thanks for the replies guys icon_smile.gif should've mentioned im in South Africa and we dont have crisco or shortening here. I'll try adding half a tsp of water while kneading it today and see how it goes.

Cant freeze the cake as I have no time to decorate in the week.

And whew that I'm not alone in forgetting the water haha!!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 2:25pm
post #7 of 9

If you don't have crisco, use butter (not margarine) or a few sprays of cooking oil (the kind for spraying the pan with). Water will just make it sticky, the idea is to grease it up a little so you can work with it without it sticking to you and everything else.

Tails Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 2:39pm
post #8 of 9

Ah prob should have tried butter, but I did water, and yes, got very sticky lol

I gave up and ended up making a new batch with the leftover mallows. Originally, when I went shopping yesterday, I couldnt find plain white mallow bags so I bought the pink and white, so for the first batch I picked out all the white mallows and for the second batch, I used the leftover pink ones which resulted in a cool pink fondant of course.

I did a few things differently the second time around (added the water, also sifted my ps and added some to the melted mallows before turning it out onto the table). It seemed to go well this time.

Anyway, I torted my cake (is that the correct term?), filled with buttercream and crumb coated it an hour or two ago. Going to roll out fondant now so eek, wish me luck!

Tails Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 8:00am
post #9 of 9

Just wanted to let you know that it went ok!

I rolled out the MMF, used the rolling pin to transfer, and successfully draped it over the cake. Alas, it wasnt sticking to the cake on the sides, so I had to take it off and spritz the crumb coat lol.

I reapplied, and smoothed it out and trimmed off the excess. Then I added blue colour to my pink fondant to make purple, and cut out some (albeit cliche) circles to put on my cake icon_smile.gif

I decorated it successfully, and make a marbled "28" with my cookie cutters to stand up on my cake. I poked toothpicks in them before they dried so I can stand it on my cake and am leaving them out until wed (didnt have any tylose power) to dry properly.

I gently/lightly wrapped the cake in clingwrap (saran?) and put it in the (cold!) oven so its out of the sunlight in the kitchen - will this suffice? I dont have a cake box icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%