Sewing Mat For A Fondant Mat?

Decorating By bluedaisies Updated 20 Aug 2011 , 8:26pm by BlakesCakes

bluedaisies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluedaisies Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 3

Right now I just have the cheapy plastic Wilton fondant rolling mat. And well, it's already got cuts in it which poke holes in my fondant.
I looked online for higher quality ones, and one looks a lot like the hard plastic mat I'd use for sewing. So my question is, if I washed that mat, could I use it for fondant?

2 replies
lschmitz05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lschmitz05 Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 7:21pm
post #2 of 3

I had the same mat and also got cuts in it. Now I use a smooth cutting board... but some Crisco on a paper towel and put a thin layer over the cutting board. I have found that this works better than what the mat ever worked for me. Good luck!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaisies

Right now I just have the cheapy plastic Wilton fondant rolling mat. And well, it's already got cuts in it which poke holes in my fondant.
I looked online for higher quality ones, and one looks a lot like the hard plastic mat I'd use for sewing. So my question is, if I washed that mat, could I use it for fondant?

No, the self-healing sewing mats are not to be used for fondant. Some of the newer packaging on them at the stores even states that they are not to be used for food.

There are many good options for fondant mats. Sweetwise and Caljava carry "The Mat", a foodsafe vinyl set of mats that works well. Ateco makes several types of mats--plain silicone and silcone coated fiberglass weave. Caljava also carries a very large silicone coated fiberglass weave mat.

No matter what type of mat you buy, you can't cut directly on it with anything sharp. Both the vinyl & silicone will get cuts and if you expose the fiberglass weave in the other types of mats, you need to throw it away because the fibers can get into the food.

I've found that a pizza cutter isn't sharp enough to cut through any of the types of mats listed above, and most cookie cutters are OK, too.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%