Need To Do A Kosher Mmf Help!

Baking By basicmom Updated 21 Aug 2011 , 1:29am by Narie

basicmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
basicmom Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 5:41pm
post #1 of 16

hi, everybody i need help. i need to do a cake with kosher marshmellows problem is the marshmellows around me are all the large ones not mini's.. i'm not sure how much i need to do a cake..any body that can help me? thanks in advance....

15 replies
ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 16

I'm totally clueless on kosher needs but, am I reading correctly that you need to know how to make mmf with the large size marshmallows? If so, I do it all the time! Oz to oz I compare with the mini marshmallows. I start with one pound of ps and increase until I get the desired consistency.

I apologize if I'm reading the question incorrectly!

basicmom Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 16

That's all I need to know is how to convert the measurements of mini marshmellows to the reg ones thank so much..

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 16

Marshmallows are not Kosher period. Marshmallows have gelatin in them. Gelatin contains pig.

Fondx fondant is Kosher.

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 6:22pm
post #5 of 16

Marshmallows are not Kosher period. Marshmallows have gelatin in them. Gelatin contains pig.

Fondx fondant is Kosher.

basicmom Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 6:36pm
post #6 of 16

i found marshmellows they call it halal with beef gelatin in it

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 6:42pm
post #7 of 16

Elyon Miniature Marshmallows Gelatin, Kosher Fish Clean
Paskesz Mini Marshmallows Gelain, Kosher Fish Clean
Jet-Puffed Marshmallow Crème Non-Animal Clean
Solo Foods Baker's Corner Marshmallow Crème Non-Animal Clean

basicmom Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 7:01pm
post #8 of 16

i have Paskesz marsmellows at the stores around me but no minis... jet puff creme how would you use that for a fondant? any recipes?thanks

ufo9978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ufo9978 Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 7:20pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperfishies

Fondx fondant is Kosher.

Not all gelatin is pig based. I know Kraft is using pig based gelatin. There are halal ones you can buy from you local middle eastern/ Indian grocery store.

ufo9978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ufo9978 Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 7:20pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperfishies

Fondx fondant is Kosher.

Not all gelatin is pig based. I know Kraft is using pig based gelatin. There are halal ones you can buy from you local middle eastern/ Indian grocery store.

basicmom Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 7:36pm
post #11 of 16

is there a way to substitute mashmellows with the marshmellow cremes {the stuff thats in the jar}?

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 7:42pm
post #12 of 16

I own a kosher bakery in California, so I believe I have a small amount of expertise here. There is a certain amount of misinformation being posted.

Narie is correct that Elyon and Pashkez make kosher certified marshmallows. These can be used to make kosher recipes. Marshmallows that have beef gelatin are not kosher unless they are explicitly certified as kosher by a reliable kosher supervision agency. (And I don't believe any such certified marshmallows exist--or at least I haven't found them anywhere.)

Halal is not kosher. Some people who keep Halal will accept kosher products as the requirements are said to be more stringent. Most people who keep kosher do not accept Halal.

Further, although some clients may accept items made with kosher products, be aware that if you make a product with kosher ingredients in a non-kosher kitchen, it is not kosher as the utensils and even the oven used are important to things being kosher.

As for ready to use Fondant.,, Depends on the level of kosher you need. Fondx is currently certified kosher dairy (at least according to my conversation last week with Caljava) If that is OK, then that might be a solution. If you need kosher pareve (non-dairy) then you need Pettinice, Satinice, or Amoretti fondant, all of which are certified kosher and Pareve.

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 8:04pm
post #13 of 16

I have alot of respect for your work. Its not easy to be 100% kosher. I could personally never do it. But its great to see so many bakers now catering to unique needs

basicmom Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 8:06pm
post #14 of 16

thanks i think i'll just do Fondx fondant i'm doing a cake for a friend and i know about the kichen was going to use her moms kichen and was kind of clueless about the marshmellows i always use buttercream but wanted to change to make it special. so thanks so much for all your help...

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 8:21pm
post #15 of 16

I only use Kosher products (being Jewish). Pazkez makes both big and mini marshmellows which you can buy in any kosher store or if not, online.
HTH

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 1:29am
post #16 of 16

Wait a minute! Fondex is dairy. Will there be a meal served at the reception? If the meal isn't a dairy meal then you will need one of the other fondants. Yikes, will the cake have dairy in it
and the buttercream under the fondant does it have dairy in it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%