Ny Laws And Renting Kitchen Space

Business By Little1 Updated 24 Aug 2011 , 1:13pm by Little1

Little1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Little1 Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 1:09pm
post #1 of 6

I'm hoping that someone here may know the answer to this question. First, I am aware that in order to sell cakes directly to the public in NY, you are required to have a separate commercial kitchen. I am not looking to have a huge cake business. Just something small, because I am passionate about it and enjoy doing it. Investing in a commercial kitchen does not make sense for me.

Now, onto renting kitchen space..... This too can be very expensive. As well as hard to find. However, I have a friend that owns a pub and is willing to let me use the kitchen during off hours for a very minimal cost. It is not very big as the main source of revenue there is the bar. The food is secondary, but the kitchen is still fairly new, legal, inspected and insured. Would this type of kitchen qualify me for a license?

Thanks for your help! I've been on these boards for a couple of years, but never post anything. There's SO much great information here!! icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 1:45pm
post #2 of 6

One of my friends is doing something similar. Yes you can do that. You still need to take your own food safety courses, register your business with nys (there might be more steps then that) but the answer is yes!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 6

Call Ag & Mkts and ask about the Article 20-C license. (51icon_cool.gif 457-5459 You may need to leave a message and someone will call you back. Good luck!

Atomikjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Atomikjen Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 3:04am
post #4 of 6

When I was going round and round with dept. of agr. and health dept. because one told me to call the other and vice versa, I was told in one of my many conversations that a letter of intention needed to be notarized, and signed by both parties. like what you plan to do, what they agree to allow you as far as space, refrigeration and what they have that will safely allow you to do so.

hth, I'm in the same boat. I am very close to getting something going with a new local bakery who specializes in cupcakes so I need to basically sit tight until they open. There's also a new incubator kitchen opening up nearby that's another option for me. We'll see how this goes.

I'd love to know if anyone else would be willing to get a petition started to actually bake from home. I'm in Suffolk county NY

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 10:45am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomikjen

I'd love to know if anyone else would be willing to get a petition started to actually bake from home. I'm in Suffolk county NY

NYS already has a cottage law http://www.agmkt.state.ny.us/FS/consumer/processor.html There is no fee for this permit. But as with most of these cottage laws there are restrictions. If you want to help advocate for a change, contact your local resource person http://www.nyssfpa.com/html/contact-us/index.html

The Home Processor permit does have restrictions, but I've helped many people modify their business plans and get started while on a strict budget. Several of these folks have now grown their businesses to encompass their original product line.

Little1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Little1 Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 1:13pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for all the information thus far. A signed, notarized letter is not a problem.

Atomikjen, I would LOVE to see NY have a Food Cottage Law. I absolutely would be on board to petition.

MimiFix, thank you so much for the link to the contacts. NY's Cottage Law is not like many other states. They have a Food Processor's Exemption, which does not permit you to make custom cakes to sell directly to the public. Which is really what I would like to do, on a very small scale. The laws are very strict and the cost of rental kitchens are high This makes it feel impossible for someone like me, looking to do this as a side job right now, to really make it a reality. I feel so incredibly lucky to have a friend willing to let me use the restaurant kitchen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%