8.19.11 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 21 Aug 2011 , 4:56pm by jules5000

FiveAlarmBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FiveAlarmBakery Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 4:08am
post #31 of 45

First friday night where I don't have anything to do. Got home from the day job (dear jesus, let cakes be my day job one day soon, let lenders be happy in the spring when I spring this business plan on them)....just finished writing out the cake re-ice drama, and now I'm going to head to bed. Next week though, dozens of cookies for a party, and trying my hand at that WASC thing everyone's always talking about for a friends birthday. icon_smile.gif

Have a good friday ladies and gents!!

kmstreepey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmstreepey Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 4:38am
post #32 of 45

Jules5000, thank you! I was just taking another break (it's nearly midnight my time) and really needed to see/hear that! It's funny because I DO know the Lord and as I was saying a little prayer for stamina, the song that goes "do every little thing to the glory of the One who made you" popped into my head. Changed my whole attitude. Now I'm just plugging away, fixing what didn't go right, and thankful that I have the opportunity to do things I love. Though I still hope that I can get some sleep tonight at some point!

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 4:41am
post #33 of 45

Late check-in from the left coast. I was having a good day but now it is going to be a LONG night.

My parents watched my littlest munchkin today so I could grocery shop and get baking done. I did manage to get the vanilla cakes done. Once my big kids got home from a swim date, we headed to mom & dad's to have dinner & pick him up. While I was fixing dinner & my eldest was watching him, the little guy takes a dive off the raised planter onto the neighbor's driveway.

A trip to urgent care and 6 stitches in his forehead later, we are finally home and I can start to bake the chocolate cake I need for this weekend's projects. Thankfully, the bigger of my 2 cakes is due Sunday. The smaller cake is for a family dinner so if it ends up simple, no worries.

I do have a technique question: Any tips on how to do the torn wrapping paper look on a gift cake. I'm making a square "package" with the fondant torn on top to look like the baseball "gift" is coming out of the paper. The only suggestion I got was to slash the fondant, peel it back and then wipe off the BC from the underside. Any other tips or ideas to share?

Thanks
Kristy

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 7:25am
post #34 of 45

Almost all done with a princess theme storybook cake. Used Wilton large cake pan, 1/2 choc 1/2 white. Cricut cutouts of princess and castle (played off and on all week to perfect, they came out great!), RI roses and other flowers. Just have bottom border to go, then place bookmark and figures. 22 crown cookies to match are ready to bag.

I had to stay up late tonight to get most done, since my new granddaughter is spending the day with us tomorrow while her parents help friends move. My 11yo son is away for the weekend with friends!

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 7:26am
post #35 of 45

Leah, how's it going with the cake ball roller? did you get it worked out?

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 7:54am
post #36 of 45

50th Anniversary cake for me. Fairly simple, but tried the SPS system today on a "test" cake and I don't know what I did wrong, but the top layer separated, slid to the side (would have slid off, but no room) and the cake board broke the little spike that sticks out of the plate. Any suggestions? It was filled with raspberry filling, which may have been too thick. I don't know, but am afraid to try it on a real order.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 11:46am
post #37 of 45

[quote="Lcubed82"]Leah, how's it going with the cake ball roller? did you get it worked out?[/quote]

Nope. I gave up temporarily, but will need to try it again soon.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 11:49am
post #38 of 45

[quote="KSMill"]50th Anniversary cake for me. Fairly simple, but tried the SPS system today on a "test" cake and I don't know what I did wrong, but the top layer separated, slid to the side (would have slid off, but no room) and the cake board broke the little spike that sticks out of the plate. Any suggestions? It was filled with raspberry filling, which may have been too thick. I don't know, but am afraid to try it on a real order.[/quote]

The cake board broke the plate peg? Ummm . . . what? You punched a hole in the card cardboard and then enlarged the hole before you ever put cake on the cardboard, right?

If the cake slid apart horizontally, that's a filling issue.

I can't for the life of me envision a cardboard breaking the plate peg.

MemphisMom9801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MemphisMom9801 Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 3:06pm
post #39 of 45

JSK- finished mine this morning. The roses were super easy and look so elegant! I tinted the lemon buttercream a pale yellow. So pretty. Have fun making yours! Your chocolate/caramel/ganache cupcakes sound divine. I could eat a batch of ganache all by myself. Hope y'all have a great party today! icon_smile.gif

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 2:16am
post #40 of 45

Memphismom9801, why not put a lemon curd in as the filling with Lemon buttercream as your Dam and icing on the cake? That would be yummy icon_biggrin.gif

Darstus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darstus Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 2:54am
post #41 of 45

Oh! I know it isn't Friday anymore but I hope y'all can maybe help me. On Friday, I did a "Rock Star" birthday cake. A two tiered cake with rock star silhouettes standing on the top of the bottom tier. I added Tylose to my fondant and cut out the silhouettes. Put wires in the legs so they would stand. 2 days later they were still soft! I know I put adequate amount of Tylose but still.... I ended up just putting the silhouettes on the side of the top tier. Anyone have any idea what I may have done wrong or what I should do the next time?

kmstreepey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmstreepey Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 2:55am
post #42 of 45

I'm happy to say that my day today was MUCH better than yesterday/night! The cake came together and I am very pleased with it. Yeah!

frenchfancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frenchfancy Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 7:11am
post #43 of 45

I know it's not friday anymore, but I only just found this post. I have been working on a chocolate fondant covered single tier wedding cake. delivered it yesterday and bride very happy. I did have lots of problems with the chocolate fondant and the heat, but it made it, phewww.
I have made the toppers for some Hello Kitty birthday cupcakes due tuesday. I wont actually make the cupcakes till tuesday. I have also been planning an 85th birthday cake like a grandfather clock, due next weekend. It's been a busy one, saying as this is just a hobby for friends and family

MemphisMom9801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MemphisMom9801 Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 12:58pm
post #44 of 45

Jules- You know, I really wanted to do that but at 10 pm I did not want to make the trip to the grocery store for a lemon. I put bc in the middle but that made it a little sweet overall (for my taste). I like a separate filling and then only bc on the outside of a cake. Next time, though... icon_smile.gif

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 4:56pm
post #45 of 45

MemphisMom9801, I do understand that one and I do not have any little ones that I have to take along either. There are nights you are just pooped and don't want to go anywhere. Been there, done that. I am sure it was good. Even if a little sweet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%