Removing A Color "smudge" From Fondant

Decorating By Cohaja12 Updated 21 Aug 2011 , 5:26pm by patjobes

Cohaja12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cohaja12 Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 10

I accidently smudged the fondant figurine with Americolor Gel (dk pink on grey!) icon_redface.gif Stupid me tried to move the figurine and didn't check my fingers for coloring! haha

Any way to remove it or lighten it?

Thanks icon_smile.gif

9 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 10

Try a cotton swab (Q-Tip) dipped in clear alcohol, such as vodka or Everclear. Rub very gently. Don't totally saturate the cotton or it may drip. Also, as soon as you see the color coming off onto the cotton, turn the swab so you are always using a clean side against the smudge. Otherwise, you'll just smear the color around.

IDOCAKES2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IDOCAKES2 Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 8:08pm
post #3 of 10

Two things work for me. One is unscented Baby Wipes, and the other is to take a clean brush and dip it into either Vodka or Extract and brush it over the spot. Then take another dry brush and keep cleaning and drying until the spot disappears. HTH.

Elaine

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 10

I don't know about using baby wipes to do this. They are not food grade and I would be afraid if this was eaten or put in a mouth it might not be too good. I also use vodka to clean up the odd color on something. The best thing is to remember to check you fingers for odd coloring on them. I know it is a dumb thing to do but, I think we have all done it at one time or another.
evelyn

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 8:34pm
post #5 of 10

Planet Cake says to rub stuff off with dish soap. Not gonna take that advice EVER!

Cohaja12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cohaja12 Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 8:41pm
post #6 of 10

Ok...so I take a swig of Vodka, and then....Oh wait.....

lol Thanks, I will try that! I'm usually more careful.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 9:57pm
post #7 of 10

I jsut use a clean cloth and a bit of water..

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 8:53am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakegrandma

I don't know about using baby wipes to do this. They are not food grade and I would be afraid if this was eaten or put in a mouth it might not be too good.

It's a good thing babies never put their baby-wiped fingers in their mouths then!! thumbs_up.gif

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 10:48am
post #9 of 10

I've used baby-wipes with success MANY times. I figure if a product is deemed safe enough to be used on a new born's behind then there can't be too much to worry about.

The Melrose dishwashing Liquid that you are referring to in your Planet Cake comment is completely harmless as well - it works wonders! - it is no more 'GROSS' than eating tomorrow nights dinner off the dinner plate that you washed with Melrose tonight.

Both these options have been given as things that WILL remove a smudge with SUCCESS. Take it as you wish icon_smile.gif or NOT icon_smile.gif

patjobes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patjobes Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 5:26pm
post #10 of 10

i would use vodka and a cotton bud, but i will say i have also used a babywipe before with good results, i also wipe my grandaughters hands and face with them and her fingers are always in her mouth, infact she has actually put a babywipe in her mouth before, but she wasnt ill or anything so they realy cant be that harmless can they even if i know they are not food grade

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%