How To Get A Tiara To Stay On Top Of Cake

Decorating By cowie Updated 26 Aug 2011 , 9:05pm by mbyrne

cowie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowie Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 11:04pm
post #1 of 12

I have made a princess tiara to go on top of a cake, my question is how do I attach it to the cake? It is in a horse shoe shape so will buttercream be enough to hold it in place?

Thanks

11 replies
sweetviolet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolet Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 1:02am
post #2 of 12

I made some tiaras on a cake before and I just set them on the top. It's the princess cake in my photos. You shouldn't need anything to hold it if it's shaped, it should stand on it's own. Hope this helps!

cowie Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 1:42am
post #3 of 12

I am worried about it being moved from my house to the customers. The lady is picking it up and I would hate to have it fall over on her. icon_sad.gif

mbyrne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbyrne Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 1:51am
post #4 of 12

I just made one and I attached it with royal icing. It worked out just fine.

cowie Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 3:18am
post #5 of 12

Will the royal icing attach okay to a cake that is iced with buttercream?

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 3:28am
post #6 of 12

What kind of tiara did you make royal or fondant?

SomethingSweetByFlo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SomethingSweetByFlo Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 3:39am
post #7 of 12

If the tiara is made out of fondant and is thick enough to insert skewers in, insert some into the tiara and thenyou could insert the skewers into the cake to prevent it from shifting around.

If your placing the cake unto a fondant I would use royal icing rather than BC.

Also, you could just give the cake to the client without the tiara on and just tell them where to place it once it's set on the cake table.

Hope you can find a solution.

CocoaBlondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CocoaBlondie Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 3:48am
post #8 of 12

I made a castle cake not to long ago it's in my photo's, with a fondant tiara on top. I secured it by extruding the smallest diameter of fondant from my clay gun, then sugar glued that strip to the bottom of the tiara then on to the cake. Worked great.

cowie Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 2:35pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks everyone for your ideas!

luckyblueeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckyblueeye Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 12:52am
post #10 of 12

I made some gates using the royal icing tiara method. I used the same color RI and attached toothpicks in the outer corners...1/2 toothpick against the edge, totally covered in RI so you can't see it, 1/2 hanging past the bottom. Then I placed them on the cake and it did great during transportation.

cowie Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 1:37am
post #11 of 12

The tiara was fondant, I used buttercream icing and ran a thick edge of it along the bottom of the tiara and placed on the cake. Then I piped the sale color pearls along the bottom of the tiara as a border. Seemed to hold up okay! Next time I will make it thicker to allow for dowels. I guess it's part of the learning process.

mbyrne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbyrne Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 9:05pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowie

Will the royal icing attach okay to a cake that is iced with buttercream?

I made mine out of royal icing, then attached it to fondant. I think it would attach ok to buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%