Wilton Gold Pearl Dust

Decorating By am_sav Updated 18 Aug 2011 , 3:48pm by ReneeFLL

am_sav Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
am_sav Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 4:54am
post #1 of 5

will Wilton pearl dust make icing a gold color if mixed in. I would like to make icing a metallic gold to pipe around the cake, and I am wondering how to create a metallic gold, will the Wilton pearl dust work? Is there anything else?

4 replies
Chonte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chonte Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 6:01am
post #2 of 5

hmm im not sure. i would think you would need ALOT of dust to do that. hopefully someone with more knowledge will have an answer icon_smile.gif

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 6:55am
post #3 of 5

The gold sheen airbrush color by Amerimist works well. Mix it with a little vodka or lemon extract to help it dry faster. I think that with the Wilton you have to do 2-3 coats.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:43pm
post #4 of 5

Wilton's pearl dusts are not meant to be mixed into buttercream as a coloring.

I would pipe what design you want then come back over it and brush that with the pearl dust mixed with lemon extract or an alcohol like everclear or vodka.

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeFLL

The gold sheen airbrush color by Amerimist works well. Mix it with a little vodka or lemon extract to help it dry faster. I think that with the Wilton you have to do 2-3 coats.

Opps! I missed the part about mixing it into icing. My response was for painting it on. I don't think there is anything that is edible that can be mixed into icing to make it gold.

As TexasRose said it is not supposed to be mixed in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%