Not My Night To Try New Things...advice Please?

Baking By WillowsCry Updated 20 Aug 2011 , 11:13am by southerncross

WillowsCry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WillowsCry Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 12:48am
post #1 of 17

So tonight I tried two recipes for the first time. The first was the WASC recipe. I followed it according to how it was posted but when it came to mixing time, I realized something wasn't right when it looked more like a dough than a batter. Clearly there wasn't enough liquid. It, for the most part baked up ok, if you over look where it sunk in the middle thumbsdown.gif Haven't tasted it yet.... I'm rather scared to now icon_lol.gif

Second I tried the raspberry filling posted here by springlakecakes. I also followed the directions and when it came to the point to put it back on the heat after straining, it immediately gelled up into a clump...again, not enough liquid? ( I'm seeing a pattern here lol)

So, is it just me? Am I liquid challenged? icon_confused.gif Has anyone else had these difficulties with these recipes?

16 replies
instant-gratificaketion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
instant-gratificaketion Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 1:12am
post #2 of 17

Are you using separate measuring implements for your dry and wet ingredients? i.e. Dry measuring cups and liquid measuring cups? They are not one and the same...

WillowsCry Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 1:31am
post #3 of 17

Yes, I have separate measuring cups for liquid measure and dry. I'm wondering, at least on the cake directions, if I was supposed to add also the liquid measure (water, oil, and egg) that is called for on the box cake mix. This wasn't specified in the directions for WASC. It's the only other answer I can think of.

On the filling I'm wondering if I let it simmer too long. Most everyone else that posted on that topic had the opposite problem I did.

instant-gratificaketion Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 1:36am
post #4 of 17

ON WASC, you only use the dry mix in the box and add what is called for on the recipe, you ignore the box recipe/ingredients. Care to post the recipe?

I'm not sure about the filling since I'm not familiar with it.

WillowsCry Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 1:45am
post #5 of 17

This is the one I used.

White Almond Sour Cream Cake (WASC)

27 Sep

Posted by denise2434 in White Cakes

FavoriteRemove from favorites Print Print
Rating: 9.7/10 (416 votes cast)

There has been many requests for this recipe so I thought I would post it for easy reference for everyone, it was orignially created by Rebecca Sutterby. This is the best white cake!! You have to try it!!! This recipe can easily be halved.
White Almond Sour Cream Cake (WASC)
Ingredients

2 boxes white cake mix
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1 1/2 teas. salt
8 egg whites
2 2/3 cups water
4 Tbls. vegetable oil
2 cups (16oz carton) sour cream
2 teaspoon clear vanilla flavor
2 teaspoons almond extract

Instructions

Mix all dry ingredients by hand using a whisk in a very large mixing bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and beat on low speed for 2 minutes. Bake at 325 degrees

instant-gratificaketion Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:00am
post #6 of 17

Hmmm, that one is pretty standard. Now I'm at a loss.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:46am
post #7 of 17

When you measured your flour did you sift it first and then spoon into your measuring cup, or did you dip the flour from the canister with the measuring cup. One of the biggest mistakes people make is to dip into the flour bag or canister with their measuring cup. This actually packs the flour and adds to much flour to the recipe. This would also make the recipe "drier" then it should be. I always sift my dry ingredients out onto a thin plastic cutting board and then spoon the flour into the cup. I sift all my dry ingredients. This may sound like an unnecessary step, but believe me, it makes a tremendous difference in the way your cake will bake. I even sift box cake mixes before I use them. Try it and you too will be amazed at the difference. LOL.

Edited to add: also...are you using large eggs. If you use small eggs, this could also reduce the amount of liquids you are adding to the recipe.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 3:04am
post #8 of 17

I use that WASC recipe.

I sift the cake mixes into a bowl and then I measure my sugar (put the measuring cup in the bag of sugar and level off with a knife), sift it, and then do the same with my flour. The recipe doesn't call for "2 C. of sifted flour", so I sift it after measuring only to eliminate clumps.

It's a thick batter, but bakes up beautifully and I've never had any problems with it.

Rae

WillowsCry Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 3:24am
post #9 of 17

I sifted the flour but not the cake mix. Not sure if that would have made a difference but will be sifting everything on the next try. I always use large eggs...maybe I miscounted. One thing I didnt do as was suggested by someone else was let everything come to room temperate first. I have never had this problem, I do a lot of baking, and even had schoolin' ( I was a culinary arts major back in the day) so I'm at a complete loss why I had this problem tonight. It smelled wonderful and baked up real level, other than the sink in the middle lol. Thanks for helping me trouble shoot this. You all have been wonderful!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 3:59am
post #10 of 17

I don't let things come to room temp icon_redface.gif

I do use large, or better yet, extra large eggs.

I always put a flower nail in the center of every cake and for layers larger than 12", I'll put in 2 or 3.

I do bake at 325F.

Better luck next time. It does make a great cake.

Rae

Valkstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valkstar Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 7:45am
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by instant-gratificaketion

Are you using separate measuring implements for your dry and wet ingredients? i.e. Dry measuring cups and liquid measuring cups? They are not one and the same...

Can I just butt in and ask what is the difference? I've been using the same ones for ages now.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:15pm
post #12 of 17

The WASC makes a thicker batter than just a cake mix, is that how it looked or was it more dry and really more dough like (I picture something that holds shape).

Could you possibly have left out the water or part of the water? Unless you added way more flour, like another whole cup I can't see it being enough to make the batter dough like.

flamingobaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flamingobaker Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:43pm
post #13 of 17

I have been known to not add enough water when I make the 2 box recipe. I use a 2 cup measuring cup, put in the 2 cups, and then have a brain lapse and forget to put in the extra 2/3 cup. Is that a possibility for you?

stormrider Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stormrider Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:58pm
post #14 of 17

Which cake mix brand did you use? I find that Betty Crocker rises better than Duncan Hines. I prefer the taste of the DH but ultimately end up using BC because of the way it performs. Also I saw mention recently in a forum post that some manufacturers have cut back on the size of the mixes so that may be a factor as well.

WillowsCry Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 1:30am
post #15 of 17

Flaming... It is entirely possible I forgot that extra 2/3 cup. I'm having a brain cramp now trying to remember what I did or didn't do lol. Storm, I typically use Pillsbury, but even if they did cut back on the size of the mix then that wouldn't have been an issue since there would have been less dry ingredients. If my work schedule will allow, I might make another attempt at this on Sunday. DH and I had some of the cake today and he said not bad....for a biscuit! LMAO!! The taste was good though icon_wink.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 10:47am
post #16 of 17

If you had used the *original* WASC that I have posted you would not have had that problem.

southerncross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southerncross Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 11:13am
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

If you had used the *original* WASC that I have posted you would not have had that problem.

The OP reported that her batter seemed dry. The "original" WASC recipe seems to have less liquid (1/3 c less water and 1 less egg) so I'm not sure a change in WASC recipe would have solved the problem. Or am I looking at the wrong recipe?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%