Still Shaking...and Don't Know What To Do About It..

Business By Pebbles1727 Updated 19 Aug 2011 , 3:25am by DragonFly2333

Pebbles1727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pebbles1727 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 12:37am
post #1 of 54

Well, I don't think there is anything to do about it now. I just got a call from the venue and the MOB wondering where their cake was. Well, I did speak to the MOB couple of times in the past few weeks. Have forwarded them the contract and paypal invoice. Never received the contract, send them a reminder via e-mail last week, and finally cancelled the paypal invoice on Sunday, even though the invoice was due on the 8th. MOB insists that she paid and send me the contract. Has that happened to you before? Any words of wisdom?
I'm still shaking, I feel bad for the bride, but what was I supposed to do? Deliver the cake anyways to a place I didn't know where and no telling what time?

53 replies
cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 12:58am
post #2 of 54

Oh no. I can understand why you'd be shaking.

I wonder what happened...maybe she's been in contact with another baker too and things got mixed up.

I know it's easy to say "don't worry about it, you didn't have a contract" but I would be upset if I received a call like that too.

I don't use Paypal in my business...is there a way to see if the payment was being held for some reason?

Pebbles1727 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 1:11am
post #3 of 54

I went all over the paypal, there is nothing there, plus I actually cancelled that invoice on Sunday, so it shows as billed, received at 0, and cancelled. I have a verified account and never had problems with them.

Thinking back and saying things outloud, here is what also comes to mind:

1. MOB wanted to send me a check (it was less than 2 weeks before the wedding), and I did not agree to that. I just allowed someone to do that, and their check bounced a day before the wedding. MOB tried to convince me that it will save me in fees. She then told me that she does not have any credit cards and waiting for new ones to arrive, trying to get me to take the check.
2. When on the phone tonight, she insisted she has paid, and when I asked what credit card was it, she told me that her daughter (bride) told her she paid the invoice.

So.... have no idea what happened. I was recommended to them by a local rental shop, I don't know what I could have done differently though. I only had MOB e-mail address, as I don't keep numbers for everyone I talk to. I did not have the contract to look up the number. I just assumed that they found someone else or decided not to get married icon_sad.gif

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 1:23am
post #4 of 54

Sorry for this happening to you. The family certainly has some issues but you are not responsible. Make yourself a cup of tea and enjoy the evening.

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 1:27am
post #5 of 54

You seemed to have done everything right, have a cup of tea, take a couple deep breaths

cakestyles Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 1:32am
post #6 of 54

awww heck, have a glass of wine! icon_biggrin.gif

SweetSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSuzieQ Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 1:37am
post #7 of 54

If I'm not mistaken, when u cancel an invoice on paypal it sends a cancellation e-mail to the person who the invoice was sent to so, she would have gotten that so, if she had "paid" as she claimed, why wouldn't she have asked you when she received it.

YummyCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyCreations Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 1:40am
post #8 of 54

For my wedding we were supposed to have a Mariachi band come a play music during the dinner part of the reception. We thought my father-in-law had take care of all of the arrangements but he never signed a contract or made any payments. So, yes, we were dissapointed when no band showed up. However, we did not blame the Mariachi band and focused on the rest of the day. Hopefully this bride and groom will be able to do the same. Make that a large glass of wine! icon_wink.gif

Pebbles1727 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 1:47am
post #9 of 54

Yes, it send them a reminder invoice via e-mail when I did "reminder" and then it send them a cancellation of invoice via e-mail when I cancelled it. I'm now on hold with paypal to see if I missed anything. I don't know if that's going to make me feel any better, but figured I'll give it a try.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 1:48am
post #10 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pebbles1727

1. MOB wanted to send me a check (it was less than 2 weeks before the wedding), and I did not agree to that. I just allowed someone to do that, and their check bounced a day before the wedding. MOB tried to convince me that it will save me in fees. She then told me that she does not have any credit cards and waiting for new ones to arrive, trying to get me to take the check.
2. When on the phone tonight, she insisted she has paid, and when I asked what credit card was it, she told me that her daughter (bride) told her she paid the invoice.

(

I know this would shake me up initially, but once reviewing my records I would feel better. Something about this MOB does not sound right. For her to insist on paying you with a check and then claiming her daughter paid, well, something just sound off to me.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 1:53am
post #11 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by QTCakes1

Quote:

(

I know this would shake me up initially, but once reviewing my records I would feel better. Something about this MOB does not sound right. For her to insist on paying you with a check and then claiming her daughter paid, well, something just sound off to me.

I agree...seems like they're trying to pull a fast one. nothing is your fault. you have all the paperwork to back up your word. icon_smile.gif

Pebbles1727 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 1:58am
post #12 of 54

Just got off the phone with paypal, they said the invoice was never paid, in addition, even if the invoice was paid and funds went into some kind of holding instead of posting to my account (which they say is not common), I would not have been able to cancel the invoice. I cancelled the invoice on Sunday, 3 days before the wedding, just to give them the benefit of the doubt. Paypal also said that e-mails go out to both parties with any activity on the invoice. So....I feel a little better that I did not miss the payment and failed to provide the cake. I still wonder about potential fall out....

QTCakes1 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:01am
post #13 of 54

You can stop what she says, BUT you can stand firm and sound confidant. If you let he rknow your not one to play with, it may work out okay. I personally rhink they were trying to get a free cake.

cakestyles Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:03am
post #14 of 54

You did everything right, they didn't pay or return a signed contract. Sounds like a mixed up wedding.

Is it common to get married on a Wednesday? Maybe in Vegas?!?!

Pebbles1727 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:07am
post #15 of 54
Quote:
Quote:

you have all the paperwork to back up your word.

Well, that's the thing, I don't have ANY paperwork nor ANY payment. Yes, I knew the size and design requests, but I had no idea where the wedding was or what time. MOB kept saying "well, I called you and told you how it was supposed to look like" and yes she did that. And I remember telling her that I must receive the contract and full payment (because it was less than 2 weeks before the wedding) in order for me to do the cake. She also kept saying "well, why didn't you call me when you didn't receive those things?" Well, I didn't have her number (no contract), and I talk to people about flavors and designs and give them quotes on a daily basis, and not all of them call back to actually place an order. Am I supposed to babysit any potential bride? Sorry, this is getting into the vent. I was really upset at first, and now I'm getting a little mad. Thanks you all for kind words.

soccermom17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soccermom17 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:09am
post #16 of 54

I know it's not easy calming down after something like that. Even when you do follow all of the proper channels. The MOB does sound a little sketchy. Hope it all works out!

Pebbles1727 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:10am
post #17 of 54
Quote:
Quote:

Is it common to get married on a Wednesday? Maybe in Vegas?!?!

It's a destination wedding on the beach, the family is from a different state, OH I think. Hotel and condo rates are cheaper during the week, so many on a budget get married during the week.

QTCakes1 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:24am
post #18 of 54
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Well, that's the thing, I don't have ANY paperwork nor ANY payment. Yes, I knew the size and design requests, but I had no idea where the wedding was or what time. MOB kept saying "well, I called you and told you how it was supposed to look like" and yes she did that. And I remember telling her that I must receive the contract and full payment (because it was less than 2 weeks before the wedding) in order for me to do the cake. She also kept saying "well, why didn't you call me when you didn't receive those things?" Well, I didn't have her number (no contract), and I talk to people about flavors and designs and give them quotes on a daily basis, and not all of them call back to actually place an order. Am I supposed to babysit any potential bride? Sorry, this is getting into the vent. I was really upset at first, and now I'm getting a little mad. Thanks you all for kind words.

But she doesn't have proof of payment or a signed contract by both of you either. You can proove she didn't pay. Really, I'm with you on the getting mad. She is full of crap and is just trying to get over. EVERYONE knows deposits and contracts go hand in hand when it comes to weddings.

cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:28am
post #19 of 54

If she contacts you again, you need to stand firm with her. Tell her you are sorry that her daughter had no cake for her wedding, but the responsibility for that doesn't lie with you. You had no signed contract and no payment for the cake. You made attempts to contact them that were unanswered. Paypal notified them by e-mail of the cancellation. You are running a business and have conducted yourself in a business-like manner, and you have the paperwork to prove this point. Tell her that you have been upset by the whole situation as well and request that she doesn't keep beating a dead horse. There is nothing to be gained by it now as you will not be issueing any refund for a cake you were never contracted to do. I doubt if there will be any fallout from an out-of-state consumer. The most she could do is give you negative feedback on the internet. I would also be sure to inform her that you will not stand for her trashing you publicly, or she may be looking at a libel suit.

Addison0306 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Addison0306 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:32am
post #20 of 54

Does she want a refund? She has no proof of payment! And if she isn't asking for a refund thats just more proof she never paid!

Pebbles1727 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:44am
post #21 of 54
Quote:
Quote:

Does she want a refund? She has no proof of payment! And if she isn't asking for a refund thats just more proof she never paid!

No, she did not ask for a refund, but when I called her back, it sounded like a reception was already going on and she was upset. I assumed she was thinking I was running terribly late, so no cake bit could have taken her by surprise. I guess she still may call me tomorrow asking for a refund, not sure where to go with it though, since I don't have her payment. My concerns were the venue, the wedding coordinator and any other vendors they were using--don't know who any of them are (no contract, ya know) and how that would affect me icon_sad.gif

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 3:25am
post #22 of 54

It sounds to me like she didn't submit the PayPal payment correctly, but she thought she did. The few times I've accepted PayPal (for orders from people outside the US) I had to walk the customers through the payment process to ensure it was done right.

I would much prefer a personal check, with 700+ orders we've only had a single bounced check we were unable to recover costs from (a few other customers bounced checks by mistake but they paid the balance plus NSF fees). When you accept payments by PayPal or credit card, that's the equivalent of guaranteeing that 2-3 out of every 100 checks bounces with no hope of recovery (thanks to the fees).

It's a little strange that you don't have any contact info...if someone calls and doesn't leave their number you still have caller ID, and if they send an email you have their email address.

Pebbles1727 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 3:50am
post #23 of 54
Quote:
Quote:

It's a little strange that you don't have any contact info...if someone calls and doesn't leave their number you still have caller ID, and if they send an email you have their email address.
When you accept payments by PayPal or credit card, that's the equivalent of guaranteeing that 2-3 out of every 100 checks bounces with no hope of recovery (thanks to the fees).

Yes, I have caller id on my cell, but last time I talked to MOB was over 2 weeks ago. I had her e-mail address and that's how she got the invoice and the information. She did not respond to the reminder nor the cancellation notice, which have been forwarded to her via e-mail. Do you have any suggestions of what else could I have done/should do in the future?

I never had a problem with paypal or having to walk any customers through the process before. It is quite simple actually, like any other online ordering. I have also offered her to call me with her credit card number if she'd rather me process it for her instead of her using paypal. I have not heard back from her until tonight. I also never received the contract.

I do not find checks more dependable, especially when it is out of state check with less than 2 weeks before the wedding. I just had a check bounce the day before the wedding on another event. According to other vendors, several of their payments have bounced as well on the same event. I do not understand your statement about the credit card or how paypal/credit card will bounce and cannot be recovered. If credit card is no good, the payment cannot be completed, they will have to use another form of payment.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 4:05am
post #24 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakestyles

awww heck, have a glass of wine! icon_biggrin.gif

DITTO!

Annabakescakes Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 4:10am
post #25 of 54

He means that 3% of you cash is peed away by fees when you use paypal. So It is like having a 3 checks bounce out of 100, where you never recover the cash.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 4:14am
post #26 of 54
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

ok...LACK of paperwork icon_lol.gif

everything that you're saying makes total sense. I think it's safe to say that if she calls you again she doesn't have a leg to stand on. She didn't state that SHE had problems making payment...she said the bride paid the invoice...NO GO. The invoice went to her and no payment was submitted = no cake.

if it's a destination wedding I wouldn't worry about it. They've probably going to go back out of town and still be upset, but their to blame on this one. icon_rolleyes.gif

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 4:15am
post #27 of 54

Forget the wine, find some chocolate! I would only answer one more email or phone call and that would be to tell her, she did not have an order, contract or payment.

Annabakescakes Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 4:21am
post #28 of 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKing12

Forget the wine, find some chocolate! I would only answer one more email or phone call and that would be to tell her, she did not have an order, contract or payment.

The only thing I would add to this is maybe try to get what venue was used out of her, so you can contact them yourself and let them know there was no contract or payment and ask then to let the other people know what happened so you don't have any rumors out there that you stiff people for cake. Offer to show them a copy of the invoice that was never paid and cancelled.

imanah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imanah Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 5:10am
post #29 of 54

How strange. I guess anything can happen. It is good you tried doing the transaction via paypal so you can have a paper trail. If it was any other way the mob wouldnt believe you.

Bunda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bunda Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 8:59am
post #30 of 54

I think that kind of person, she just want a free cake icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%