Customer Re-Iced Cake?

Decorating By FiveAlarmBakery Updated 26 Aug 2011 , 7:24am by JanH

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 11:09pm
post #31 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabecakes

Ask the bride why she is angry with you when you did exactly as she asked you to do. The cake was delivered to the manager as per her request. You cannot be held liable for what the manager did after the cake left your posession.

And I also agree with the posters who think it started before you even made the cake, when they changed your schedule and prevented you from coming and delivering the cake on your own.

Good luck on your job interview!!!

FiveAlarmBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FiveAlarmBakery Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 11:16pm
post #32 of 55

Thanks for the good luck wishes! Everyone just cross your fingers for tomorrow! icon_smile.gif Then cross your fingers again for friday when I ask the big question on everyone's mind at this point.... "what the hell happened!?"

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 11:37pm
post #33 of 55

I would not sweat this one bit! The smartest thing you did was have her sign off for the cake. Bottom line is she messed up the cake and had to get a new one, cause ain't no way in HADES she could have taken in your cake and had it re-iced. No grocery store is going to put themselves in jeopardy that way!

BizCoCos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BizCoCos Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 11:40pm
post #34 of 55

boy, I feel your pain, horrible people, something smells here, Since you will be leaving soon anyway or even if you don't, it's your reputation and you need an honest anwer from someone. You should be angry with them, and yes, I understand about delivering the cake but unless bride picks up cake, it o ly would leave my hands with a signed statement and accompanying picture of all angles of the cake. Don't let this experience ruin your outlook.

katj012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katj012 Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 3:35pm
post #35 of 55

Have been watching this topic all week - I can't wait to hear what the explanation is!!!

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 4:11pm
post #36 of 55

It's Friday! I hope that means you are getting the scoop at work right now.

No one mentioned how the cake tasted? I'm highly suspicious your cake wasn't served at all.

Could you see that it looked like your cake in any picture that was posted? You mentioned she said they changed it to a gold ribbon...hmm, did they just happen to have that on hand???

I would be so hurt about all of the lying AND the fact they were mad at me for something. icon_sad.gif

mhcl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mhcl Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 4:24pm
post #37 of 55

I'm curious what town the wedding was at...I'm not that far from the cities. Maybe I can help find something out icon_lol.gif

bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 4:31pm
post #38 of 55

I just started following this...but I'm really curious about the outcome! It's like a cake soap opera icon_smile.gif

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 5:14pm
post #39 of 55

Can't wait to find out what happens with this one.

As long as you have a picture of what your cake looked like, gave her specific instructions on how to handle the cake and had the bride sign a release form stating you weren't responsible once the cake left your possession then you are covered.

I really hope for your sake you get the new job.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 11:10pm
post #40 of 55

So you've established that bride asked you to make the cake. I'm wondering if you charged her for it though? If she asked you knowing or assuming it would be free she could well have wanted it just to have a 'spare/backup' cake, in case something went wrong with the cake she may have already ordered elsewhere. ?? Of course that would be a greedy, inconsiderate thing to do - but hey, some people are like that, unfortunately!

Lorabell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorabell Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 11:36pm
post #41 of 55

OMGosh,

I could feel myself getting madder and madder as I read your story. Was the bride aware that the manager was bringing the cake??

If the bride was aware of this and you gave all instructions, NO WAY was it your fault. OMGosh, I would NEVER do another cake for either of these women again.

NEW POLICY: You will deliver..no more turning your hard work into the hands of a moron.

UGH....I really feel for you.

Lori

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 3:03am
post #42 of 55

I'm SO waiting to hear what you found out!! I would love to see a picture of it cut at the wedding, or a slice of it.. to see if it had the strawberry filling icon_smile.gif

FiveAlarmBakery Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 3:36am
post #43 of 55

You have been waiting on pins and needles for this moment Ladies and Gentleman.... and here it is....

First let me start by saying, I've gotta put names on here, or your little eyes are going to get worn out with "manager this" and "manager that".

So, lets establish, the managers name is "Jasmine". The bride's name will be "Ellie".

Established. We just left the story at the bride giving me lip because of some craziness that happened (if you havent read the first post, seriously, go back).

This afternoon, I walked into a completely different feeling in the store. Everything was calm and collected, so I had a feeling that Jasmine and Ellie were not there. I was right, I didn't work with either of them.

HOWEVER... I got the story off of Kay (new person in this soap here) who was at the wedding.

Kay is the assistant manager, friend of the bride, invited to the wedding, and knew what was supposed to happen that day and also saw what really went down.

So Kay and I had a heart to heart, right after we had my "daily checkin" when I first clocked in.

I said, "Kay, you have to tell me the truth. We have to have an honest moment, and you can't bullshit me. I'm beyond bullshit. I need to know this."

She said, "Anything, whats up?"

My question, "What happened to that cake on saturday? Just tell me right out, what HAPPENED?"

>>>>
Kay says the following:
"Okay, I can only tell you what I know and saw. Basically, I was sitting there at the reception with my fiance and Jasmine wasn't there yet. No one could get a hold of her, the reception had started, there's no cake, and Ellie (the bride) was having a bridezilla very pissed off tension moment with EVERYONE. She had told all of these people about this amazing cake that was supposed to be coming, and she was so excited about it.

So, I texted Jasmine and kept asking, 'where are you? where's the cake?'.. and she finally messaged back and said, 'we had a snafu, we'll be there soon'.

The next thing I know, there's this cake sitting on the table, and it kind of looks like what you and Ellie had described, but I realized it wasn't what your cake looked like, because Id just looked at your photos on facebook, that you posted that afternoon. So, I look at Jasmine, who is in a really instense moment with Ellie and know something is not right. Jasmine came and sat at our table and she proceeded to tell us the following: "The cake got too hot and all the bumps in the road screwed it up, so we had to go to the grocery store, and we got it re-iced and had them put a gold ribbon around it, and then we bought some flowers to put on it to cover up what we couldn't ice correctly"

So, I don't know what really happened, Aly, I'm so sorry that it happened. Of course, Ellie doesn't want to point fingers at people, so I'm sure when she explained it, she's just coming off of her bridezilla moment, and I'm sure she's just trying to figure out if what Jasmine told her is the whole truth. But I think she's more upset at the fact that it wasn't there on time. She even said to me, 'if it had made it on time, it wouldn't have been a big deal if it was melting and on it's side, I just needed it here at 4:30'... So that's all I know, I'm sorry I don't know more." "

>>>>>
So, I take Kay's story at face value. I honestly think that the damn thing melted in Jasmine's house, and she found someone to buy icing off of, had her husband (who is a chef, who proclaims he is not good at all at pastry or cakes) help her re-ice it, slapped some ribbons and flowers on it, and was late to the reception... just like she's late to EVERYTHING else.

I'm really waiting for tomorrow when I work with Jasmine, to see if she even begins to talk to me about it. I'm finally at peace with it, but very upset at her. Then again, I took it there, I told her exactly what she needed to do, every day up till my drop off day, and then went over it with her again when I dropped the cake off. So I can't help if she was an idiot and let it melt.

I will say that Kay told me it was a very tasty cake, and that the strawberry fllling was devine. So.... there it is.

That's all I know, and the saga I'm sure is still ongoing. I will not be doing cakes for either Ellie or Jasmine every again. And yes, to answer someone's question, she did pay for it in payments. Which is one of the reasons why she wanted Jasmine to bring it, because she didn't want to pay for me to drive it there. However, about now, she's probably kicking herself.

Any other questions, let me know! icon_smile.gif I think I covered all I know in the saga. Oh, and I got the job, but I turned it down, I didn't realize it would be a cut in pay, half the hours and twice as much work. However, I am still currently looking for another position, actively sending my resume out, because I'd really like to not have any more of this drama!! ((I have other crazy non-cake related stories about this place too. I think I could write a tell all novel))

Have a great, drama free, cake soap opera weekend!! icon_smile.gif

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 3:49am
post #44 of 55

fivealarmbakery: good for you, turning the job down. I am getting the drift that it was going to still be working for and with the same people? How dumb do they think they are that you would take such a cut in pay and for all the extra work knowing what it was like to work with them anyway? I am sorry that you and your cake which you worked hard on had to go through all that. As far as I am concerned, Jasmine ought to be fired for pulling that kind of thing. God bless you on your job search.

FiveAlarmBakery Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 3:53am
post #45 of 55

Oh no, the job was going to be with someone else. I just cant make that pay cut right now. Even if my hours are shotty where I'm at, I'm getting paid good money for what I do. So I have to hold out for either 40 hours somewhere else or better pay same hours (28/30).

Also, my day job with Jasmine is not with cakes, so she can't really be fired for anything crazy like melting a cake. She could be fired for some of the other random crap she does, but we need HR to get their acts together and listen first.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 3:56am
post #46 of 55

HOLY. COW! kuddos to you for keeping your composure and your dignity in tact by waiting. Honestly, now you could talk to the bride about it not getting there in tact...wasn't your fault! I bet she is kicking herself now icon_lol.gif

Lorabell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lorabell Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 12:10pm
post #47 of 55

OMGosh,

I could feel myself getting madder and madder as I read your story. Was the bride aware that the manager was bringing the cake??

If the bride was aware of this and you gave all instructions, NO WAY was it your fault. OMGosh, I would NEVER do another cake for either of these women again.

NEW POLICY: You will deliver..no more turning your hard work into the hands of a moron.

UGH....I really feel for you.

Lori

robinmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinmarie Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 12:40pm
post #48 of 55

you need to write a novel...you tell your story very good, you had me in suspense from the get go. Your cake was beautiful and it is a shame that someone can't follow detailed instructions (and she is a manager???) Her chef husband should of known better that cake and heat don't do well, anyone would know that one. If the bride dosen't know the full story of what happened to the cake, I would throw the manager under the bus, defend your edible art work icon_biggrin.gif

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 1:07pm
post #49 of 55

Did you take a picture of this cake. We would all love to see it I am sure.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 1:08pm
post #50 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveAlarmBakery

That's when the manager said, "oh, I'll deliver the cake, since I'm the wedding planner. That's what we do."

this is all I needed to see to know that I call BS on this woman.

No reputable wedding planner who I know would say that they deliver the ckes. That's what the cake delivery people do, not the planner.

Oh, but wait, she's NOT a planner, she's the manager at the cosmetics department. Oh, and she's probably seen some tv shows and bought some decorations for a couple of parties, so yeah, I guess that makes you a planner.

Just like owning a cake pan and a spatula makes you Ron Ben-Israel.

They should have a "I did my own wedding now I'm a planner" site just like they do for cakewrecks.

It's obvious that your manager screwed it up somehow and is making up a story to cover her butt. Sounds like there's not enough gold ribbon in the world to do that, though. based on what you said it seems that everyone knows she did something, so I wouldn't worry about it anymore. And deliver your own cakes from now on! Who knows what people will do to them after they leave our supuervision!

I will add, though, that you probably should have told her that the cake needed to be refrigerated, not just in the AC. If it had been in the fridge overnight and boxed up correctly, a four-hour trip might not have done as much damage.

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 1:11pm
post #51 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Just like owning a cake pan and a spatula makes you Ron Ben-Israel.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 1:27pm
post #52 of 55

I'm glad to hear you feel more at ease now after getting more pieces to the puzzle. As long as the bride knows that you did everything right and understands that the manager is the one who ruined the cake!

Hopefully she learned her lesson by paying a high price for trying to get away with delivery costs.

FiveAlarmBakery Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 4:00pm
post #53 of 55

Picture of the cake is in my photos for the person who asked.

Thank you so much for the support people! I have learned my lesson, a few of them, and here they are:

1. I have two people to add to my "never take an order from again"
2. I will deliver the cake to the final destination, as to not give over my blood, sweat and tears to a moron. (literally tears halfway through).
3. I will not sweat the small stuff on moments like these, it's just too much effort.
4. I will continue to have my brides sign that contract that says once it's out of my hands, it not my issue anymore. ( I love that I had her sign that, cause she cant really say much to me)

Next step: Continuing job search. Today should be fun, I'm in a room with the bride and the "pseudo-wedding planner/manager" from 2 to 10. Oooo, this should be interesting.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 2:27am
post #54 of 55

Good luck fivealarmbakery: I feel for you. I have had shoddy jobs like that too. I may have liked the job, but all the other crap that came with them kind of took away the enjoyment of doing what I liked and getting paid for it. Hope you find a job soon.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 7:24am
post #55 of 55

To see how the story proceeds, please see:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-728572-.html

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%