Help! Jem Cutters

Decorating By tb0808 Updated 17 Aug 2011 , 4:36am by cakeladyatLA

tb0808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tb0808 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 4

I just bought the butterfly JEM cutters and am trying to cut the butterflies out of gum paste. This is my first experience with these cutters and it isn't going very well icon_sad.gif
I have the gum paste rolled out very thin, maybe not thin enough, becuase I can't seem to get them to cut through. I'm only getting an embossed impression, if you know what I mean.
And when I try to peel them apart they seem very fragile and stretch and distort very easily.
Can someone help me?? Any tips or hints??
TIA

3 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 4

Not sure which ones you have but here's what I do when I have to do those funky alphabet letters.

First, make sure you have crisco spread on the surface you're going to roll your paste on. Then roll your gum paste out and let it sit there and dry just a few minutes. Then get a piece of cling wrap and put it over the gum paste and then press your cutter on top of that. Wiggle it around a little to make sure you're all the way through, then lift. The cut pieces should be on the mat and not stuck in your cutter.

Also, let the pieces sit there for a bit to dry some more and make them easier to pick up and move. HTH!

LadyTangerine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyTangerine Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 4:14am
post #3 of 4

I simply place the cutter upside down and my piece of gumpaste over it. Using a rolling pin (gently of course), I roll it out on top and it cuts perfectly and neatly without any annoying fringes left over. HTH!

cakeladyatLA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyatLA Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 4:36am
post #4 of 4

I used to have a hard time too, until one time during class I left a piece of 50/50 fondant gumpaste on the counter, after a while I needed to show how to use tappits and I used it dry like that and it was a dream! try letting your gumpaste dry for like 30-45 mins at least!

Good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%