Business By TexasCakes77 Updated 24 Aug 2011 , 2:43pm by ncsmorris

TexasCakes77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasCakes77 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 12:57am
post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakestyles

Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Yes, I would give her a full refund and ask her to pick another flavor. I would then make her a small, complimentary cake or cupcakes so that she will have confidence in my baking, my flavors, and my customer service. Now I have a lady talking about me to all of her friends about this great experience that started badly. This is a story worth telling to friends on fb.

Playing devils advocate here...what if she didn't like the complimentary cake or cupcakes either? Then what? Another free cake offer? How many free cakes is too many?

It's not always cut and dry, wrapped up in a pretty package, "now she'll love me because I bent over backwards for her".

In fact, maybe her friends would be inclined to order from you, complain the cake was dry (even if it wasn't), get a full refund and another free cake.

See how this policy could backfire and you could be taken advantage of?

I think if we're being honest, we all know that there are some people in this world that no matter what you do for them, they'll never be satisfied.

Texascakes...you responded to her complaint, if she doesn't get back to you, I wouldn't give it another thought.

That's exactly what I mean, I just don't know where it would end if something like this snowballed into free cake after free cake and all they have to do is say, "I didn't like it". How would we ever have a business that would survive?

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 1:01am
post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCakes77

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakestyles

Quote:
Originally Posted by scp1127

Yes, I would give her a full refund and ask her to pick another flavor. I would then make her a small, complimentary cake or cupcakes so that she will have confidence in my baking, my flavors, and my customer service. Now I have a lady talking about me to all of her friends about this great experience that started badly. This is a story worth telling to friends on fb.

Playing devils advocate here...what if she didn't like the complimentary cake or cupcakes either? Then what? Another free cake offer? How many free cakes is too many?

It's not always cut and dry, wrapped up in a pretty package, "now she'll love me because I bent over backwards for her".

In fact, maybe her friends would be inclined to order from you, complain the cake was dry (even if it wasn't), get a full refund and another free cake.

See how this policy could backfire and you could be taken advantage of?

I think if we're being honest, we all know that there are some people in this world that no matter what you do for them, they'll never be satisfied.

Texascakes...you responded to her complaint, if she doesn't get back to you, I wouldn't give it another thought.

That's exactly what I mean, I just don't know where it would end if something like this snowballed into free cake after free cake and all they have to do is say, "I didn't like it". How would we ever have a business that would survive?

lol We wouldn't.

Go have a nice glass of wine and relax...if this is your only complaint you're doing something right. thumbs_up.gif

TexasCakes77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasCakes77 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 1:03am
post #33 of 39

LOL, maybe I will! Thanks everyone! icon_biggrin.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 3:25am
post #34 of 39

I am 49 years old and have never been taken advantage of. If you conduct yourself professionally from the start, people know you will see through that. I have owned four businesses that I started from scratch and I have never had a customer try to take advantage.

I have a satisfaction guarantee on my site that must be checked before the credit card goes in. If you conduct your business in a professional manner and have a pre-planned policy, the problem can never happen.

And if the customer still didn't like my second cake, I clearly have done something wrong. If this message in this post has no worth at this point to most readers, it is senseless for me to take this scenario to the next level because most of you have disagreed already.

For anyone who would like a copy of my refund policy, which is fool-proof, pm me.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 3:55am
post #35 of 39

Is this it?

http://www.justdessertsdelivered.com/about-2/refund-policy/

I'm very happy for you that your business endeavors have been so overwhelmingly successful in every possible aspect. icon_smile.gif

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 11:16am
post #36 of 39

icon_biggrin.gif

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 2:43pm
post #37 of 39

icon_biggrin.gif

enchantedcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedcreations Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 5:44pm
post #38 of 39

I think the point scp1127 is trying to make and I'm sure she will correct me if I'm mistaken, you need to just give "customer service".... period. I really don't think it's about "free" cake. I think it's about listening to your client/customer and finding out what's really bothering her and/or her dissatisfation.

I sold real estate for 12 years. The one problem I had was a couple who got hung up on a stupid 10 year old stove. They asked me to write it into the contract, I did, the owners signed the contract that it would stay, but on moving day it was gone. The wife thru the biggest hissy fit I've ever seen. Now this stove wasn't worth squat. But she wasn't about to let them off the hook. Before I could even get a call in to the listing agent, she had called the closing company and filed a complaint! Unbelievable. The seller's excuse? It was a wedding gift! I took the husband aside and I simply asked him "what do you want me to do?" I put it back on him. If you leave your statement open and shut your month, most people just want to either get it off their chest and will not ask anything from you because their afraid to ask for anything or if they do, it will be minor in nature. They just want someone to hear them.

ncsmorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncsmorris Posted 24 Aug 2011 , 2:43pm
post #39 of 39

This has always been something very weird for me - determining whether or not to refund based on the fact that a customer "just doesn't like" something. For example, when I go to a restaurant and they describe a pasta dish, telling me the vegetables that it has, the flavor of sauce, etc. and I choose to order and then I end up not liking it because it has too few vegetables for my taste, well...that's not the restaurants problem. If, however, I order steak well done and it comes to the table bloody, that IS the restaurant's problem. I would definitely return to restaurant 1 in this situation, but order a different entree. I would return to restaurant 2 if they successfuly fixed my order after I indicated that my steak was not done.

I haven't had the situation come up yet, so I'm not sure how I would handle it...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%