Don't Have A Large Cake Rack, What Can I Use?

Baking By theCword Updated 18 Aug 2011 , 7:52pm by cakegirl1973

theCword Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theCword Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 1:14pm
post #1 of 6

I am baking my 1st big cake this week, round 14 inch. The rack I use now is tiny, just enough for my 9 inchers. What can I use as a cooling rack? I'm stuck and am on budget so I need to be creative.
TIA!

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 1:15pm
post #2 of 6

oven rack

theCword Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 1:16pm
post #3 of 6

YES! Can you believe I thought of that last night while drifting to sleep but forgot this morning...

THank you thank you!!!!

theCword Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 1:18pm
post #4 of 6

Also, what "shelf" do you bake on normally? Since I will have 2 huge cakes in there... not sure.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 1:59pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by theCword

What can I use as a cooling rack?

You don't really need to use a cooling rack... just flip it out on a 14" cake circle, then flip it over on another 14" cake circle to cool. Large layers need to be supported at all times for handling. If you're baking ahead of time and freezing, the cake should be on a circle in the freezer too.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 7:52pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:
Originally Posted by theCword

What can I use as a cooling rack?

You don't really need to use a cooling rack... just flip it out on a 14" cake circle, then flip it over on another 14" cake circle to cool. Large layers need to be supported at all times for handling. If you're baking ahead of time and freezing, the cake should be on a circle in the freezer too.

This is what I do, and it works just fine. I don't own a cooling rack either, and I bake cakes all the time. Never have had a problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%