Packaging Products

Decorating By azizanicole Updated 20 Aug 2011 , 9:19am by azizanicole

azizanicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azizanicole Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 10:18pm
post #1 of 5

Hi,

Not sure if anyone can answer my question but, ive been asked if i could make sugar paste pieces to go on cakes i,e flowers, Cake toppers, models etc.
What is the best way of packaging the items and sending them by post?
I can only think of courier but this would be costly if its just once in every while.
Any thoughts, i live in the uk but i guess the postal system is the same in most places.

Thanks for the advice.

4 replies
mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 11:00pm
post #2 of 5

There are alot of people that sell on etsy.com
If noone gives you advice maybe order something from one of them to see how it arrives

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 11:31pm
post #3 of 5

I personally have never shipped anything like that, but I watched a tutorial on shipping cookie bouquets on cake central and I imagine that your toppers would certainly qualify as delicate as the cookie bouquets if not more so. I would suggest maybe getting some soft foam and cutting up pieces of it go between any pieces that might bump together. Wrap them with shrink wrap and then bubble wrap. Like I said the tutorial is on here and I would go the extra measure and put soft foam in between my pieces that go together and put lots of bubble wrap around it.

You have been given the suggestion of going to Etsy and here is another suggestion: If you have a family member or good friend who lives say a ways away from you and if youwanted to ship them something delicate you would have to send it via usps or ups. I would make a like item that you have been asked to make and ship. Ship it to this friend with all the packaging for safety that you can think of and on top of that write in Red marker everywhere that you can . Fragile and underline it. ALso write this side up with arrows on the 4 sides of the box and the top of the box. Ask them to let you know when they got the box, what kind of shape it was in and if they were buying this item from you would they be happy wth the shape that it arrived in? Good luck. My whole family jokes about the amount of tape and packng that me and my mom do when we ship something to them, but our items have never arrived broken either. I used to work for the post office and I know what kind of treatment they get even when they say fragile.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azizanicole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azizanicole Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 9:19am
post #5 of 5

i have seen the packaging for the cookies too and wondered if it was the same process.

I think i have to weigh up as to whether its worth the effort shipping when you compare the costs of things.

Will be taking on board what everyone has said and give it some more thought, thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%