Strawberry Extract/flavoring Without Red Dye??

Baking By gourmetsharon Updated 14 Aug 2011 , 11:50pm by jules5000

gourmetsharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetsharon Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 7

A friend wants a strawberry cake without red dye. I made a recipe of strawberry cake with just pureed strawberries but the flavor isn't intense enough. There are allergies to red dye in the family.

Anyone know where I can get strawberry extract/flavoring that doesn't have red dye in it?
Thanks!

6 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 7

Does LoRann have a strawberry flavoring? I've heard wonderful things about them.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 7

Lorann does have a strawberry flavor, but it is pinkish in color.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 7

There are extracts w/o red dye out there. I was told that McCormick and schmidt made them and there are some natural extracts out there that are clear. www.frontiercoop.com is on the bottle of strawberry extract that I have. It is clear. The are out of Iowa. Good luck.

jules5000 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 7

Well, I guess I am just a little on the late side with my information, but hopefully it will still be useful anyway. Sorry I just didn't notice the date of the posting.

gourmetsharon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gourmetsharon Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 11:34pm
post #6 of 7

I looked up Lorann and they now have natural flavors without dyes. but an arm and a leg to ship.

Jules, no, you aren't late! very timely in fact. I will look up that site.

and I will call my local shop to see if they happen to have something in stock. Cake isn't due for another 2 weeks but trying new recipes.

Thanks all!

jules5000 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 11:50pm
post #7 of 7

gourmetsharon

I bought mine from a natural food store. I am in the midwest. I was trying to find clear food flavorings and I found them, but unfortunately they couldn't be oil based for what I wanted them for. I have never looked up this site before so I really know nothing about it, but hopefully you can find something for you that will work. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%