Gluten Free Items

Decorating By handymama Updated 14 Aug 2011 , 7:45pm by handymama

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 3:49am
post #1 of 4

What/where are your favorite resources for gluten free ingredients? It's not often that this is requested for a cake, but my best friend and my grandson are both gluten intolerant and I'd like to be able to make treats for them. TIA

3 replies
coleslawcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
coleslawcat Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 4:25am
post #2 of 4

I have celiac disease and bake gluten free all the time. If you only plan to make something on rare occassion I would pick up some Betty Crocker gluten free cake mixes and The Cake Doctor Bakes Gluten-Free book. That way you won't have to worry about having contaminated baking powder/soda and other ingredients. Just buy new the extra ingredients the book calls for or be very careful about cross contamination.

If you will be doing it more regularly you will want to figure out what flour blend works best for you. I use Better Batter (brand of gluten free AP flour). I've made my own as well. I make a sorghum, rice, tapioca, xanthan gum blend and that makes excellent cakes as well, but I've found the Better Batter tends to be a bit less crumbly so I go with that. Some of the gluten free AP flour blends rely on bean flours which taste nasty, at least to me, the main one that comes to mind is Bob's Red Mill which is usually the one most people find at the store so if frequently used.

Make sure to wash all pans and utensils thouroughly and don't use any bakeware with scratches or porous surfaces (wooden spoons etc). Also I would not use your regular cooling rack since it has so many crevices and the baked goods sit directly on it.

Good luck and thank you for thinking about providing baked goods for your gluten intolerant friends and family.

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 4

King Arthur Flour ( go online) now sells gluten free bread and flours to make cakes and cookies. Check them out to be able to order products.

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 4

Good to know! I'm on King Arthur's mailing list and they do have quite a nice selection of things.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%