Using Organza Instead Of Viva Paper Towel For Smooth Bc?

Decorating By CupcakeQT82 Updated 14 Aug 2011 , 5:00pm by AnnieCahill

CupcakeQT82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeQT82 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 2:15am
post #1 of 8

So, I know there is the whole topic out there on using the Vivia paper towel method for getting fondant-smooth BC icing. I have yet to use it and will on my very next non-fondant cake. But I had another cake friend tell me she recently got a tip about using organza fabric- just a piece of it- and do it pretty much like the paper towel to get a super smooth finish. Anyone heard of it? I haven't seen it anywhere

7 replies
Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 2:34am
post #2 of 8

I haven't heard of it, but it sounds more cost effective than using paper towel and definitely better for the environment. If you try it, let us know how it turns out. We can't even get VIVA in Canada, I have to get them from the US when I visit and I load up. lol

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 4:40am
post #3 of 8

I would very much like to hear your results it you give it a go.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 8:32am
post #4 of 8

Would you wash it after using? You will need several pieces of it in case one gets too saturated with grease.

I hate Viva personally. It's the lintiest paper towel I have ever seen. On my last wedding cake I used it and almost had a heart attack when I saw little black fuzzies in the icing all over the cake. At that point it was too late to scrape and re-do. I'm using parchment paper to smooth from now on if I make American BC.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 3:56pm
post #5 of 8

I would be curious to know if white butcher paper using the shinny side or wax paper would work. Getting lots of ideas here thanks.

saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 4:18pm
post #6 of 8

I use waxed paper and it works okay. However, I am always interested in a better method!

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 4:33pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieCahill

Would you wash it after using? You will need several pieces of it in case one gets too saturated with grease.

I hate Viva personally. It's the lintiest paper towel I have ever seen. On my last wedding cake I used it and almost had a heart attack when I saw little black fuzzies in the icing all over the cake. At that point it was too late to scrape and re-do. I'm using parchment paper to smooth from now on if I make American BC.

Black fuzzies? I've been using them for years and never had a problem. Maybe just a bad batch? Weird.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 5:00pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe just a bad batch? Weird.

Not sure. I picked up a big pack because they didn't have the individual rolls which is what I usually buy. I thought maybe it was that roll, but then I tried another roll on a different tier and the same thing happened. When I took a closer look I did notice a ton of black fibers and other lint in the towels.

I'm sure freezer paper would work because Jeff recommends it for his upside down icing technique which you can find in the tutorials. When using that method the iced cake is peeled off the freezer paper to reveal a flat surface with crisp edges. I haven't tried it yet but I am going to.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%