Ran Out Of Fondant For Wedding Cupcakes....now What???

Baking By jennbrownrigg Updated 14 Aug 2011 , 12:16am by Lcubed82

jennbrownrigg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennbrownrigg Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 11:33pm
post #1 of 4

Ok, so I totally messed up and underestimated how much fondant it would take to cover 100 cupcakes. So, I did half (one flavour) in fondant and the other half (the other flavour) with a buttercream swirl. I decorated all with the flowers and alternated the tiers of fondant and buttercream on the stand. It turned out lovely IMO. My question is, should I automatically offer the bride a partial refund because I messed up or should I send her an apology and see what she says. She paid for the rental (and deposit) for the stand but I was thinking of just giving her that $ back when I get the stand back...What does everyone think?

My photo won't upload to here but it's in my album. The hot pink & black cupcake tower.

3 replies
SweetSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSuzieQ Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 11:44pm
post #2 of 4

I would give her the difference back automatically. To figure it, take the difference that you charge for a cupcake with a plain fondant top and, a buttercream swirl x 50 cupcakes.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 11:55pm
post #3 of 4

I took a peak at the photo and I agree it does look really nice, I actually love the look of swirl cupcakes as opposed to fondant covered ones.

Having said that, if the bride ordered fondant covered that's what she'll be expecting.

Did you call her to ok the change? If not, than yes, I would offer something back to her, since she didn't receive what she ordered.

I have a feeling she won't complain about the display, even though it wasn't exactly what she ordered, it still looked beautiful.

Good luck!

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 12:16am
post #4 of 4

I like the different textures presented. I agree that you need to figure the amount she overpaid (if any) for the fondant topper on the 2nd half vs buttercream, and refund that no questions asked. If she then expresses disappointment, ask her what would make her happier, and negotiate from there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%