Licensed Home Kitchen Questions... Please Help!!

Business By Piece_acake Updated 14 Aug 2011 , 11:27pm by Annabakescakes

Piece_acake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Piece_acake Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 7:24pm
post #1 of 8

I am in the process of putting alicensed kitchen in my basement and I have a few questions for you wonderful cakers icon_smile.gif

1. What is the best type of counter to work on? I am trying to save as much money as possible so granite really isnt an option.

2. For the flooring, would you suggest an epoxy coating?

3. The ceilings need to be washable... what would you suggest?

4. Do the oven and refridgerator need to be commercial? Or can I purchase them at any homestore?

Thank you so much in advance for any advice/suggestions you can give me icon_smile.gif

7 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 8

Every one of these questions will be answered in the HD code. You have to do exactly as they require. No exceptions... you will have to tear out what isn't to code.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 8

It depends on what you are going for. Are you trying for a fully commercial kitchen? If so then nothing can be residential grade. Everything would have to be commercial equpiment and you woudl need a 3 bay sink and a hand washing sink and stainless steel countertops and all that jazz.

If you live in a state that licenses home kitchens you can pretty much build a 2nd kitchen and call it a day. It really depends on your state regs. I suggest calling the HD and asking.

icon_biggrin.gif

Piece_acake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Piece_acake Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 9:33pm
post #4 of 8

My region (Niagara, Ontario) licenses home kitchens...thankfully!

I'm just going over my counter options and am having a hard time deciding which is better for decorating and is the most cost effective.

I've spoken to my local health inspector and she sent me a list of requirements. The list just stated "washable ceilings" so I am unsure what this means... Can I have drop ceilings with plastic/washable tiles?

Thanks for your input... it is terribly difficult to find the right information online icon_smile.gif

scp1127 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 9:51pm
post #5 of 8

I can't have drop ceilings. But washable is anything you can wash, including washable paint. It should also not be textured if the little pieces will fall off during washing. Just check with the HD on the drop ceiling. They will know right away. Once you pick your surfaces, schedule a meeting with the specs and make sure they all meet code. Usually you can fill out that part of the application right there when you get approval.

For surfaces, my stainless steel tables are the best. Next best for me is granite.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 10:33pm
post #6 of 8

I agree that if granite isn't in your budget than stainless is nice....although it does scratch.

Will this be a second kitchen for you? If so stainless would be fine, I wouldn't want it in my everyday family kitchen though.

scp1127 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 11:50pm
post #7 of 8

Here's a granite suggestion: I have a kitchen island that is no longer needed. It is 24 x 36. I am having the wood top removed to add a granite remnant. My other surfaces are all stainless steel. But because I also do pastry, I missed the granite. You can have a granite table by just purchasing a cabinet at a home store, ir find an inexpensive island to convert. Kitchen tables won't work unless you raise the height.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 11:27pm
post #8 of 8

We laminated a wooden work bench. You can get a sheet of 8' x 4' piece for $40 to $120, depending on what you choose, and then paint the sides.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%