Advice Needed For A Fundraiser

Decorating By BurnsyJ Updated 13 Aug 2011 , 6:29pm by BurnsyJ

BurnsyJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BurnsyJ Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 4:47pm
post #1 of 5

One of my good friends has a son who will be going with a group on an exchange program to Denmark in the Spring. This used to be a school sponsored event, and I was the coordinator, so I got to take the kids during Spring Break. It got too expensive, however, so the school dropped the program.

A group of parents picked it up, and it has continued for the past 4 years. To offset the cost for activities when the Danish students are here, several fundraisers are held throughout the year.

This is where I come in again. My friend asked if I would donate a custom cake in a silent auction. She would like me to display some pictures of cakes that I have made and then the winner can get with me about making a cake in the future.

Here is my concern ... I haven't been decorating very long, so there are still MANY things that I don't know how to do. I love trying new things, but I am fully aware of my skill level. I want to put parameters on the prize, but I don't know what would be fair.

If any of you have ever done this, I could sure use some advice.

4 replies
mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 4:58pm
post #2 of 5

I did that for a few fundraisers.

I would put you pick the theme.. I pick the design.
Cake to serve X amount or under

So you can pick what your comfortable with.

Its an auction so the people bidding are really there to donate to
whatever cause it is.. You can be a little less flexible.

If they have a design in mind you can do then you have under promised
and over delivered... so you will have a very happy cx.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 4:58pm
post #3 of 5

I understand your concern. But remember, you set the parameters. You can donate any size custom cake if you feel comfortable (fondant or buttercream) with a note ("Be adventurous with me!") that you're still learning. Or donate cupcakes, cookies, or a tray or basket. Only make what you feel you can handle. Remember, this is a donation.

shanienee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanienee Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 4:59pm
post #4 of 5

I recently donated 2 cakes for a fundraiser for autism. I just baked the cakes, and gave them to the sponsors the day of the event. My choice of cakes. They were also auctioned off. If the cake is going home that day, I would suggest doing a simple cake with a nice design so that way you don't get stuck telling someone, "No", when they want something that is worth way more than the cake was auctioned for.

BurnsyJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BurnsyJ Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks! That's just the advice I was looking for. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%