Wedding Cake Delivery

Decorating By frogprincess2 Updated 15 Aug 2011 , 4:39am by frogprincess2

frogprincess2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frogprincess2 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 7:55am
post #1 of 7

I was asked by a friend to make their wedding cake and the delivery location is about 45 min - 1 hr away. It will be 4 tiers. I will not have kitchen access and would like to make it as easy as possible of course. Should I box all the tiers and put it together and finish decorating on location? Or is there a better way? Thanks

6 replies
kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 9:28am
post #2 of 7

I have travelled about 40 minutes with a 4 tier fully assembled without any trouble. All I used were boards and dowells with a center dowel but if you have access to the sps system go with that.

kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 9:31am
post #3 of 7

oh...and if you do travell with it assembled you should bring someone with you...it will be pretty heavy. Extra hands are nice, even if it's only to get the doors.

sweetooth0510 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth0510 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 10:45am
post #4 of 7

I second that, so long as your cake is dowelled properly you can travel with the four tiers. I deliver all my wedding cakes and do prefer to assemble the bottom two tiers at home and then place the top tier or tiers at the venue though - just to be on the safe side, all of my cakes are fondant. Depends on the type of design and whether it can be quickly assembled on site, I (personally) definitley wouldn't be spending any more than 15 minutes on site assembling and finishing.

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 11:25am
post #5 of 7

We always deliver 4 tiers already assembled. 2 weeks ago we traveled almost 1 1/2 hours with one. So just make sure you dowel properly and then use a center dowel and you will be fine. I have traveled with 5 tiers fully assembled but not very far.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 12:24pm
post #6 of 7

SPS was created for this sort of delivery. Give it a try!

frogprincess2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frogprincess2 Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 4:39am
post #7 of 7

Thanks to all the replies.. I am going to order the SPS system this week. Better safe than sorry on someone's special day. Plus I am a guest at this wedding so anything that makes it less stressful is awesome. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%