Cake Due Tomorrow Morning Is A Disaster Tonight...help Pleas

Decorating By twinsplus1 Updated 13 Aug 2011 , 4:21pm by kathie-d

twinsplus1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsplus1 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 7:54am
post #1 of 7

First off, can you refrigerate a fondant cake? I was making a two tiered cake and the bottom cake doesn't seem to be strong enough to support the top cake. I put the wilton columns in it, but I'm worried about what will happen to it by tomorrow morning. Short of rebaking the bottom cake, is there anything I can do??? Will refrigerating the bottom cake help at all?

6 replies
pusskin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pusskin Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 8:35am
post #2 of 7

The weight of the top tier should be fully taken by it's supports, which means they should pass completely through the bottom tier to the board. If the columns you are using do not have a spike of sufficient length to do this then you need to use doweling. If the columns are hollow then the dowels should run right through them so that the cake card/board of the upper tier is resting on them not the columns.

HTH

Puss

kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 8:54am
post #3 of 7

This may be a silly question...but you do have the top tier on a board right? Colums won't do squat with out a board to hold up....I am sure you know this....but you never know!

leepat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leepat Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 11:28am
post #4 of 7

Yes you can refrigerate a fondant cake. But it will sweat when you bring it out. Without seeing you cake and how stable it is it will be hard to say whether it will be alright or not. sorry

twinsplus1 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 2:00pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you for all of your help late late last night. I got it to support the cake. My mind just wasn't working. This has been a disaster cake for sure. I baked the first cakes and forgot to spray the pans, didn't have enough ingredients on hand, trip to the store, back in business just running an hour or two behind. Storm rolled through, electricity out for a while. Then I couldn't get the cake supports right. Overall, it's not my bes work, but I'm just happy it's now done!

twinsplus1 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 3:57pm
post #6 of 7

Here's a picture of the finished product. Like I said, not my best work....

kathie-d Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathie-d Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 4:21pm
post #7 of 7

No side bulges, clean work...looks good to me! Oh..and the top tier where it should be....on the top! LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%