Chocolate Cake To Freeze And Fly....

Baking By Wildgirl Updated 15 Aug 2011 , 4:15pm by Wildgirl

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 1:21am
post #1 of 6

cross country - then frost when I get there ---- will the hershey's recipe be ok for this? I hope I don't regret saying I'd bring the cake....

And please give me your opinion - when asked what flavor it was simply CHOCOLATE, so of course the cake will be chocolate, and I have an awesome chocolate fudge buttercream recipe from here that I can use for either the filling or outside or both - but what would you suggest? Use the same for both or do something different for the filling or ??? I'm so new at this....

I really want this to be special - my sister died over a year ago and my bil is adopting her children - this is for a celebration party.

5 replies
Wildgirl Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 5:15am
post #2 of 6

Is this a dumb question? I remember reading here somewhere that some recipes don't lend themselves well to certain treatments, like carving - so I thought it might be wise to see what you thought about the freezing/transporting/tiering of the Hershey's cake.....

And of course I'd love help brainstorming fillings/frostings. I really want this cake to show that we love them - these kids have been through a lot.

molly_36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
molly_36 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 5:50am
post #3 of 6

I, personally, have made the Hershey's cake a couple times and haven't had the best of luck. The choc version of WASC has been a great standby for me.
As far as fillings, there are so many I'd use...raspberry, cookies & cream, whipped ganache...and what about a poured ganache outside? Yum!
Whatever you do, it's being made with lots of love and they'll know it and go crazy over it thumbs_up.gif

Wildgirl Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 5:39pm
post #4 of 6

I had to look up WASC icon_redface.gif It sounds delicious - I'm just struggling with wanting to be a purist - but if this is the best stable chocolate recipe I may have to just deal with it.

I love the cookies and cream idea - that would be great for a filling....

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 3:31pm
post #5 of 6

Sorry to hear about your sister.

Why are you freezing the cake? Is it just for ease of transporting? Would wrapping it well and carrying as hand baggage (if the airline allows) not work either?
I would think chocolate and raspberry (even just preserve) filling and chocolate ganache on the outside. Yum!!
What age are the children? Bright and sugary might be a good theme if they are young

Wildgirl Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 4:15pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer353

Sorry to hear about your sister.

Thank you - it's been very difficult for our whole family.

The kids are teenagers, so not too kiddish and not too sophisticated. I was going to freeze just to make it easy to transport - and if it was still a bit frozen when I got there then it would make it easier to assemble. I can't imagine trying to handle it carry-on - it's a fairly long flight and it would make me crazy. So I was hoping to keep it in the pans... maybe take it out initially and re-parchment paper them so it doesn't glue on and then freeze them. If I wrap them well, maybe the cold from the cargo would keep them frozen long enough.

I don't know - I've never done this before. I just don't want to make it harder than it has to be.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%