Making Angry Birds--What Do I Use?

Decorating By Posy2 Updated 13 Aug 2011 , 2:43pm by Posy2

Posy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Posy2 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 12:30am
post #1 of 5

I'm new at this and I really want to make an angry bird cake for my son. What is the best to work with to make the birds. And can anyone recommend a good recipe for them (modeling chocolate, fondant).

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

4 replies
mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 2:33am
post #2 of 5

I am working on some this weekend for a cake next weekend. I am planning on using fondant. I know the kids at the party will want to eat them and gumpaste would be too hard. I dont use candy clay so I cant say how that will work. I may add some tylose into my fondant just to make it a little stiffer but I dont want it too hard.

brittsaqtpie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brittsaqtpie1 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 3:25am
post #3 of 5

I've always used just fondant in my angry birds and they've always turned out great, but if you are going to do the big red bird and the black bird, I would definitely suggest using gumtex in it, those ones are hard to keep their shapes. Here's a link to the first birds I made (don't look at the horrible cake part, just the birds, lol), http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1933449

TheBakingNurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBakingNurse Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 3:53am
post #4 of 5

EASY GUMPASTE RECIPE
Ingredients
1 Lb Powdered Sugar Fine -10X plastic bag
1 Packet Knox Gelatin
2 TBS of Lemon juice
3 TBS of Water
1 Tsp of Glucose
Instructions
Add gelatin, water & juice over double boiler; dissolve about 5 to 7 minutes. Add glucose stir. Use a mixer with dough hook. Place sugar in mixer then add liquid mix until slightly together remove and knead. If it feels too sticky add a little more sugar. Wrap with plastic wrap and place in plastic bag, seal. Let rest over night

This is the gumpaste recipe i use from this site. When i make my figures i use a 50/50 mix of gumpaste and fondant.

Posy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Posy2 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 2:43pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks everyone. How far in advance can I make the birds?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%