Labeling Requirements For Texas Cottage Food Law

Business By DALIG Updated 12 Aug 2011 , 8:51pm by kelleym

DALIG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DALIG Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 3

I was just reading the texascottagefoodlaw website and i noticed that it says:"The executive commissioner shall adopt
rules requiring a cottage food production operation to label all of
the foods described in Section 437.001(2-b)(A) that the operation
sells to consumers. The label must include the name and address of
the cottage food production operation and a statement that the food
is not inspected by the department or a local health department."
and i am wondering what labels are you guys gonna use for this and what exactly are you writting on the label and does it fit?
I am sorry is just that i might be asking this kind of dumb question but i just want to have it very clear on what i need to do.
thank you guys.

2 replies
sacakesandbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sacakesandbakes Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 3

I was think of getting a rubber stamp with all the info.
Name, address, "This food item was made in kitchen not inspected by the health dept. " Texas Food Cottage Law SB81

Then stamping on each cake box.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 3

I would put off ordering any stamp until after State Health Services develops the specific rules (which may include font size and things like that). Until the rules are made, just stick with name, address, and statement of non-inspection, however you like. The label does not have to be on the item, it may be on your invoice and handed separately to the customer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%