Where Did I Go Wrong On This Cake???

Decorating By sebrina Updated 14 Aug 2011 , 8:34pm by Kaykaymay

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 15

It is suppose to be for a 40th surprise party. Mom wanted bright pink & purple with a crown, the rest was up to me. Now it looks like it is for a four year old instead of a 40 year old.
Any suggestions??? Don't worry about sparing my feelings, I am killing myself already. LOL! I need ideas on how to fix it today. I am about to scap everything but the crown & start over. icon_cry.gif
TIA!

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2124163

Sorry it's turned the wrong way. I am too annoyed with myself to do it again. icon_sad.gif

14 replies
grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 15

How about a n arrangement of flowers in the center of the crown? That could make it look more for an adult.

ranae5463 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranae5463 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 4:12pm
post #3 of 15

If you're looking for suggestions, perhaps a lighter shade of pink. I would try cornelli lace in pie shaped sections with purple and then if you're still wanting to use the gems they could be placed in the solid sections. Just a suggestion. My opinion is that cornelli lace is more adult looking and the crown can then sit on top. Maybe there are more suggestions out there? BTW - I've come up with some designs that I didn't like, but my family and friends all say (and maybe they're just being nice) that the design isn't what's important, it's the work and love you put in it and as long as it tastes great who cares how it looks. Good luck. thumbs_up.gif

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 4:14pm
post #4 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by grams

How about a n arrangement of flowers in the center of the crown? That could make it look more for an adult.

I like this idea, but make it a bed of white roses the crown in lying on and maybe a couple of roses at the base of the cake

towenby1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
towenby1 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 4:14pm
post #5 of 15

Okay, sorry, but remember you asked. lol. I would remove all the red jewels. They sort of clash to me with the hot pink an purple. Remove the clear jewels on the sides of the cakes and put them where the red jewels were on the crown. pipe you some gold details on the cake sides may some drop strings around the edge and pipe some feminine details on the crown in the hot pink and purple. Or ask your mom to look at it before you do anything. you may just be being to hard on yourself and it may be exactly what she wanted.

sebrina Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by towenby1

Okay, sorry, but remember you asked.

Don't be sorry, this is what I am looking for! LOL!

I can't do much with the crown, the jewels are stuck. I took the all jewels off the sides & it left big gaping holes. (sigh...) So I carefully reiced the sides in pink. I also removed the bottom border.

As much as I would like too, I can't go with a lighter pink. The mom wants to stick with bright pink & purple & gold for the crown & she wanted sprinkles. icon_confused.gif I forgot to mention that earlier! I did talk her into adding silver & black to it though.

I was thinking about adding some black & doing the drop strings. Do y'all think the top boarder would be alright against the drop strings? Or maybe some small black dots, starting with a less amount at the top & gradually adding more towards the bottom.

Cornily lace would be hard on the sides because I carved the cake to be a little whimsical, slightly smaller at the base than the top. She wasn't much on flowers either. icon_sad.gif

I should have said 'her' mom, it wasn't my mom that was asking for the cake. My mom just shrugs & says 'looks good to me'. LOL! thumbsdown.gif

Mexx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mexx Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 6:07pm
post #7 of 15

I agree that the red jewels clash with the pink so if they can be removed that would help. I'm also thinking that the crown seems a little out of proportion to the rest of the cake. Have you thought about adding a second small tier that the crown can sit on to make it more balanced? Maybe this tier could be shaped like a pillow? You could soften the colour of the pink or purple on the pillow to tone it all down a bit. Good luck.

Chillyjilly714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chillyjilly714 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 6:40pm
post #8 of 15

Adults that usually get pink or purple i would use a zebra print design or cheetah print....that might be able to cover the spaces that the jewels left...i really think the jewels are clashing with it making it look tacky...good luck

sebrina Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 9:38pm
post #9 of 15

I just might go with the zebra print! I know they like animal prints. I would have to pipe the stripes, they really didn't want fondant. (I hate it when they say that.)

Thank you everyone for all of the great suggestions! I hope I can save this cake...

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 4:33am
post #10 of 15

I like the pillow idea or the zebra print. That was a tough order- it's hard to make a pink and purple cake with a crown look adult, as that is generally what 4 yr old's want! Good luck with 'save' - I've had to do a lot of them. Please post pics after.

sebrina Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 5:47pm
post #11 of 15

Well, I took some of the advise from here & reworked the cake. They LOVED it! Thank you all for your help & ideas. I couldn't have saved this on without y'all! thumbs_up.gif

Here's the redo...

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2126306

JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 5:50pm
post #12 of 15

Oh that looks very nice! Nice Redo! thumbs_up.gif

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 8:11pm
post #13 of 15

Great save! icon_biggrin.gif Looks really nice! I'm sure she loved it!

emiyeric Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emiyeric Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 8:19pm
post #14 of 15

Oh, well done! Definitely much more adult-looking! I'm sure they loved it.

Kaykaymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaykaymay Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 8:34pm
post #15 of 15

wow great job on that save.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%