Pricing For 80 Homemade Cupcakes

Baking By Em2011 Updated 12 Aug 2011 , 4:03pm by Em2011

Em2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Em2011 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone! I am new to the site and new to the world of priced baking. I have just made a wedding cake and now I am baking 80 homemade standard size cupcakes - 40 vanilla and 40 chocolate with vanilla and chocolate buttercream frosting. I have been doing tons of research but need some help trying to figure out price.

I am at the point where I don't know what the cost of a single cupcake would be and am thinking that I will just charge $1/ cupcake. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!!

4 replies
Ali3971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ali3971 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 2:35pm
post #2 of 5

I charge $1.25-1.50 for a regular chocolate or vanilla cupcake with buttercream. It depends on the quantity and transportation. I like to use the plastic cupcake containers so for a large quantity I would deff use the plastic instead of a box but that just my preference. If I use plastic containers I charge $1.50 a cupcake to cover the added expense. If they want any fondant letters or etc I charge .25 cents more depending on the decoration and how complex/time consuming it is.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 2:40pm
post #3 of 5

It's not too difficult to figure out what the cost would be...just add up the ingredient costs, your labor costs (# of hours needed to complete the order * your hourly wage), and any overhead costs attributed to the order. Then add 20% for your profit margin.

You should also check if it is legal to sell homemade cupcakes in your state, here in CA we are required to rent a commercial kitchen. Our cupcakes start at $2.50 each.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 3:07pm
post #4 of 5

I start cupcakes at $4.00 each. It's all about what they cost you to make. If you don't know how much it costs you to make them you can never figure out what you need to charge to make a decent profit.

Em2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Em2011 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 4:03pm
post #5 of 5

ok, thank you everyone for your responses! It is greatly appreciated.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%