Help Edible Pen Issues!!!!!

Sugar Work By cheffie Updated 12 Aug 2011 , 6:22pm by sugaah

cheffie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheffie Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 2:05pm
post #1 of 15

I need help. I have tried many many times to use edible pens to decorate with and every time it is a frustating disaster!!! I am trying to write on hardened candy melts. I have tried it at room temp. and also refrigerated. Both times the end result is the same. It is like writing on wax. The color does not come off onto the item I am trying to decorate.Also the candy melt sticks to the pen tip. I have tried using very little pressure to appling some pressure, both results are the same. I have aslo tried wide tip and narrow tipped pens. Please what am I doing wrong. The pens are not dry they work perfectly on paper or a napkin! thank you cheffie icon_biggrin.gif

14 replies
jillyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillyscakes Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 2:19pm
post #2 of 15

They are meant for fondant or gum paste don't think they work on other mediums.

ma_baker_30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ma_baker_30 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 2:20pm
post #3 of 15

What brand are you using?
I only use Americolor pens. They do a much better job.
Wilton's pens don't work well on any food surface icon_sad.gif

cheffie Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 2:28pm
post #4 of 15

I have the cake pop books and it says to use edible food pens on the cake pops to make faces etc: and those are dipped in candy melts. I have 2 brands Wilton foodwriter markers and fooddoodler food coloring markers bought at the supermarket, both do the same things when I try to use them. thanks cheffie

sheeny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheeny Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 3:16pm
post #5 of 15

I second Americolor pens - they work wonderfully on every surface and look as if youve used a sharpie!

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 3:47pm
post #6 of 15

Americolor is the way to go..they cost a little more but worth it because they work on almost every medium. From what I remember the food doodlers tip is super soft and bends with the slightest pressure. I never tried the wilton ones.

TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 3:55pm
post #7 of 15

I have no luck with the wilton pens either!!!! Last time I was making pops I was trying to use them...instead I grabbed some black food coloring to draw eyes...BAD IDEA...it never dried. It seems everything that works well or is "better" you have to order online. I guess I'll add americolor pens to my list of "wants".

cheffie Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 4:05pm
post #8 of 15

Thanks to all! I just ordered americolor pen set and a 2 pack of black ones lets hope these work. Should have in 5-7 days. Keep fingers crossed.LOL icon_cool.gif Cheffie PS any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated for future refrences . icon_biggrin.gif

CreativeCakesbyMichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeCakesbyMichelle Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 4:21pm
post #9 of 15

I also bought the Wilton pens. Total waste of money. I've tried writing on fondant, modeling chocolate, frosting, etc. Quite frankly, they suck. The Americolor ones sound promising though so I might have to give them a try.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 4:39pm
post #10 of 15

If you can, why not just paint your writing or decor on with a fine paintbrush and your gel colors? You can thin with extract if necessary, but I think it works better than the pens.

I don't like the thick tips of the edible food writers I have. But I've used them successfully on dried gum paste and fondant.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 4:41pm
post #11 of 15

cheffie

I usually avoid most Wilton products as I have found them to be poorly designed, gimmicky and/or the taste is bad.

1. I prefer Fat Daddio/Magic Line pans after I found out the 9" Wilton round had slanted sides.
2. PME Tips when my #1 Wilton tips caused curlicues.
3. Americolor gels when I discovered them as I didn't have to use toothpicks.
4. Satin Ice or Bakels Pettinice Fondant as it tasted better.
5. Merkens chocolate wafers as it tasted better than Wiltons candy melts.
6. Satin Ice or Bakels gumpaste as some of my students had issues coloring Wiltons.

However most Wiltons Cake Classes are great their yearly books are super and they have done quite a bit standardizing cake decorating in the USA!

joycesdaughter111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joycesdaughter111 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 5:42pm
post #12 of 15

[quote="carmijok"]If you can, why not just paint your writing or decor on with a fine paintbrush and your gel colors? You can thin with extract if necessary, but I think it works better than the pens.

I agree with carmijok. I just thin my gels with a tiny bit of vodka and paint away! icon_smile.gif

Herekittykitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Herekittykitty Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 6:02pm
post #13 of 15

I am absolutely no good with a brush. Americolor pens are what I use, just ended up poking holes and dents in my fondant with Wilton.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 6:16pm
post #14 of 15

[quote="tiptop57"]cheffie

I usually avoid most Wilton products as I have found them to be poorly designed, gimmicky and/or the taste is bad.

2. PME Tips when my #1 Wilton tips caused curlicues.

Really? It was the tips causing the curlicues? Because that happens to me all the time, and I thought it had to do with my questionable piping skills! It drives me nuts! And I think I'm going pretty fast too and it still does it! I'm checking into the PME tips then!

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 6:22pm
post #15 of 15

americolor pens - you will be more than satisfied!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%