Not So Much A Cake Idea More Of A Decorating Activity Idea..

Decorating By jennifercullen Updated 12 Aug 2011 , 7:22pm by MamaDear

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 11

I work at a youth club, and last week promised a couple of girls that next week I would bring in some cakes and we would decorate them. This week though we ran an art project which attracted a few other kids so now I have about 10 or so that want to decorate them. I will be buying and baking. the cakes and everything myself because we don't really get any funding through work any more, and as much as I'd like to bake all of them a whole cake and take enough icing to decorate them, I really can't afford to pay that much! So now I need something alternative to do with them, but similar. I didn't want to do cupcakes as I wanted to use fondant so we could decorate in different ways. Any suggestions? I've also thought about cookies, but as I will be cooking everything before i go decorating a cookie each isn't going to take up a whole 2 hours lol. [/code]

10 replies
knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 2:02pm
post #2 of 11

Maybe you could make a sheet cake and cut out maybe 3x3 square pieces or larger for individual cakes. Mini cakes are great for introducing kids to cake decorating. I know they're small but then the children can use less fondant or gumpaste and make a few decorations. You could get a few cakes by cutting a sheet cake and it won't cost too much to make! HTH

ranae5463 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranae5463 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 2:16pm
post #3 of 11

Maybe a mini loaf pan to make several mini cakes?

jennifercullen Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 3:58pm
post #4 of 11

Oh that's a good idea, I suppose small cakes won't need too much fondant will they. I've actually got a multisize square pan so I can bake squares from 1 inch to 12 inches in that, I think maybe I'll have to have a look around the discount stores in town for some cheap fondant, I got 1kg for 69p the other day which was great, it wasn't great fondant of course, but it would serve the purpose wouldn't it!

grams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grams Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 4:18pm
post #5 of 11

I've got a similar situation. My daughter-in-law wants to do a decorating party for some women and girls from her church. I'm going to do a bunch of 4in. cakes. We're going to use buttercream though so they can play with piping borders and drop flowers. We're going to make tootsie roll or starburst roses to put on top and pipe in leaves and drop flowers.

Davwattie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davwattie Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 4:41pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifercullen

Oh that's a good idea, I suppose small cakes won't need too much fondant will they. I've actually got a multisize square pan so I can bake squares from 1 inch to 12 inches in that, I think maybe I'll have to have a look around the discount stores in town for some cheap fondant, I got 1kg for 69p the other day which was great, it wasn't great fondant of course, but it would serve the purpose wouldn't it!

If you have a Home & Bargain or B&M store near you check them out cause they quite often have decent icing that has a short bb date.

I had 1kg of silver spoon icing a few weeks back for 69p and it isnt bad stuff, it would be fine for kids to practice with on small cakes.

jennifercullen Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 5:59pm
post #7 of 11

@davwattie I don't know how to quote, but that's where I got the 69p icing from lol. It was only about a week ago but I don't think they have any left now otherwise I would have bought it up! Lol

Davwattie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davwattie Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 6:10pm
post #8 of 11

lol I always check when im in their just incase they have some in.

I usually use it for small models etc but I got a few boxes of the 1kg packs and used it for the off roader cake in my pics, got alot more profit out of that cake than I would of buying it at normal price.

Mexx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mexx Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 6:11pm
post #9 of 11

You could always make a batch of marshmallow fondant (recipe on this site - MacsMom's). It is really cheap. You can make three pounds of fondant for less than $5.00.

Colorful-Bliss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Colorful-Bliss Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 6:51pm
post #10 of 11

@ jennifercullen...off topic but I think it's a really great thing you are doing.

MamaDear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaDear Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 7:22pm
post #11 of 11

Hey Jennifer Cullen,
I did an activity like this a few years ago with my Girl Scout Troop and we did it in two parts- piping and then fondant.

For the piping part, I got those white iced little debbie cakes and taught them to make leaves, flowers, dots, etc. I decorated a couple and then let them do two each. I know it wasnt homemade but it saved me a bunch of time on the baking.

for the Fondant section, I did the same thing with those little individual 4 inch poundcakes you can buy in the Wal-Mart Deli section (Lil Debbie makes them but they are not as wide). They got to butter cream the outside, roll the fondant and decorate them however they wanted. I brought some pics for inspiration but they really surprised me a bunch.

The next year when they were older I divided them into teams and taught them to do layer cakes and ice them but we had a smaller kitchen and access to an kitchen with a double oven.

We also did rice krispie treats molded into an assortment of small pans, covered them with fondant (teaches them to even it out) and decorated.

It was a blast and I got to focus more on the techniques because I wasnt worried about baking all those minis.

Happy Caking and God Bless the Volunteers!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%