Powdered Sugar~Advice!!

Decorating By MelaMang75 Updated 12 Aug 2011 , 12:14pm by Elaine2581

MelaMang75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelaMang75 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 5:31am
post #1 of 5

Ok, so I have been a huge fan of Domino powder sugar. I've always had the best results with it for everything I do. My only choices of brands in my area are Domino, or local store brands (Walmart, Kroger, and Aldi). As much as I'm scared to death to change, Domino is now $2.50 a bag at WM!!!! I'm
either going to have to change to store brand at $1.48 a bag or change my cake prices. Anyone have suggestions??? I'm a home baker and don't have wholesale pricing abilities. Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

4 replies
mburkett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mburkett Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 6:08am
post #2 of 5

I've been told that name brand sugar (C&H specifically) is made from sugar cane and that the store brands are made from beet sugar. I'm not sure about Domino (it's not big in my area). Not all packages say cane or beet. I'm sure the pro bakers can confirm.

I've Googled it and they are something like 99% identical but they have different cooking properties, (ie beet will burn darker than cane when used in creme brulee).

mburkett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mburkett Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 6:23am
post #3 of 5

One more thing....You can buy the large bags (50#) at Costco for much less than buying 2# bags.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 7:07am
post #4 of 5

The other day I noticed that C&H powdered sugar in the box cost 86 cents and it is one pound. I looked at the 2 pound bag and it was running around 2.50. Hmmm, what to do, what to do? Hey! I'll buy 2 boxes of C&H powdered sugar and get 2 pounds of powdered sugar ...the same amount in the bag...for $1.72 as opposed to $2.50!

I can't believe the difference in price! I bought up a bunch of boxes and since I use them in 2 lb increments for my buttercream, I bagged them that way myself. One thing I do notice about the box vs. the bag is that I have to sift the box sugar as opposed to the bagged. Big deal. It tastes the same. And it is cane sugar.

Dominoes is cane sugar too. I grew up with it.

Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 12:14pm
post #5 of 5

I've used Domino, Dixie Crystal, Kroger and Aldi brands and honestly I can not tell any difference. Therefore, I consistently use the Aldi brand because that is the store closest to my home and has the cheaper price. I use Sharon Zambito's buttercream recipe and a fondant recipe from a DVD I purchased from Carrie's Cakes in Sandy, UT. I've even used it to make Jennifer Dontz's white chocolate fondant using my homemade fondant and adding the chocolate she sells. It has always worked fine for me. I just have to use more sugar because GA is so hot and humid this time of year.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%