How Do I Make Ice Cream Cupcakes?

Baking By sarascakecreations Updated 11 Aug 2011 , 5:45pm by sarascakecreations

sarascakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarascakecreations Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 6

Hello so a customer has asked me to try to make these for her bf's birthday who doesn't love cake....

http://www.joythebaker.com/blog/2008/05/ice-cream-cupcakes/

ansd while they seem really simple... when I baked a few test cupcake bottoms last night then covered them with ice cream (after they had cooled) bc the cupcake shrunk a bit the ice cream creeped in around the crevases (sp?) and has covered the entire bottom cake in ice cream.

So now you can't see the layers of cake and ice cream and the cake bottom is SO hard!

How the heck should I go about this? Should I bake them in liners then fill with ice cream?

Another option I was thinking of was just baking regular cupcakes and using a corer to take some out and fill it with ice cream? what do you think?

If anyone can offer some insight I'd really appreciate it!

5 replies
JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 3:26pm
post #2 of 6

Hi,
I've looked at the recipe, it looks like its one of those recipes that look easy but are really hard icon_lol.gif

Did you use a fudgy chocolate looking cake like the recipe shows?
you could try making them in paper cases, it wouldn't hurt to do a couple of tests,
or you could make cupcakes with only half the amount of mixture so they are quite small and put a scoop of ice cream on top of them, on an episode of cake boss, buddy was making his son an ice cream cake and kept saying how difficult it was!

Heres the link to the episode,

If you're not too busy battling ice cream cupcakes have a peek! icon_lol.gif

Hope this has helped! Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 6

Do they have to be cupcakes? Could they be individual squares? Bake a sheetcake with one cake. It will be a nice thin cake. Slather on the ice cream. Refreeze. Cut into squares and top individually like cupcakes. Place each one in a cupcake wrapper like how a pastry is served. Faster - neater - easier - saner.

LaBellaTorta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaTorta Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 6

These are slightly different, but along the same lines and they always go down very well with people:

http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/524006/ice-cream-cone-cupcakes

I substitute the buttercream with a homemade icecream swirl (or you could just soften regular ice cream and pipe on just before serving

jersgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jersgirl Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 4:50pm
post #5 of 6

I wonder if you pop the pan and cakes into the freezer for a few minutes before adding the ice cream if it would help stop leakage...freeze the drips before the get to the bottom?

sarascakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarascakecreations Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 5:45pm
post #6 of 6

I spoke to her and we came to a compromise icon_smile.gif I'm going to bake normal cupcakes and use the cupcake corer to remove some in the center and fill it with ice cream then pop it back in the fridge. only question? will the ice cream melt too much in the fridge? bc if I put it in the freezer the cupcake with get hard right?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%