Freezing Cupcake Question - Quick Answer Needed

Baking By rpaige Updated 11 Aug 2011 , 2:39pm by rpaige

rpaige Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rpaige Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 11:41am
post #1 of 9

I don't do many cupcakes. I have a fundraiser on Saturday and cupcakes have been requested. Due to time constraints, I would like to make the cupcakes TODAY. Many questions below:

Can I make cupcakes today and freeze them until Friday night or early Saturday morning? How long to defrost? Will they be sticky when reaching room temp?

Before freezing: Do I let them cool completely or freeze while warm (I see different approaches to freezing cakes - cooled or warm)

Will the cupcake papers show any oil or wear from freezing?

Do you wrap each cupcake individually or just put them in a large airtight container unwrapped?

Any info or answers would be appreciated - hope to begin baking this morning. Thanks!

8 replies
JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 11:52am
post #2 of 9

Hi,
Here are the answers,

1. Your can bake them today, they freeze good for a while so freezing until saturday is definately ok. A few hours to make sure they are completely defrosted. No they shouldn't be sticky.

2. Before freezing make sure they are completely cool, not sure what would happen if you put warm cakes in the freezer, perhaps not risk it.

3. The cupcakes I've frozen have never shown oil through the paper.

4. All the cupcakes can be put in an airtight container, no real need to wrap each one individually.

Hope this helps! Good Luck! birthday.gif

rpaige Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 12:06pm
post #3 of 9

Bless you for your quick response! I was sitting here sweating and worrying about how to plan my day as well as organize my time. It is always stressful to try something different and I can't afford to waste any baking products with mistakes. I'm off to begin baking!

Thanks for saving the day - literally.

JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 12:22pm
post #4 of 9

Hi,
Happy to help, I was just speaking from experience, of freezing cakes,
I forgot to mention aswell, don't decorate the cupcakes before you freeze them, freeze them plain, I once froze decorated cupcakes and when I defrosed them the icing run and melted! icon_rolleyes.gif

Good Luck!

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 12:58pm
post #5 of 9

This has been a recent thread with many great ideas. See if you can find it... Good luck!

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 1:11pm
post #6 of 9

Don't freeze them baked...I freeze mine as batter in the cupcake liners...use the same method to bake, only 5 more minutes extra...they are perfect every time AND I have freshly baked cupcakes when I need them...seriously, it takes so much out of your stressful, 'time-constrained' day.
I just plop them into the muffin tins, but instead of baking them, I put the pan and all in the freezer (no cover)...then conveniently bake them when I am ready to go! I do the same with the cake batter that is left over from cakes. Works like a charm!

rpaige Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 2:23pm
post #7 of 9

I had never considered freezing cupcake baker in the liners and tins. That is something I will have to try next time.

My next question this morning:

For some reason, my cupcakes are nice and brown on top and beautiful in the oven but are falling in the center now that they are cooling. I have never had this happen. Are they okay or should I start over?

maggie1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggie1956 Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 2:33pm
post #8 of 9

you took them out of the oven a few minutes too soon.If the frosting will cover the sinking part ,then no harm is done,because this doesn't affect the taste much.

rpaige Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 2:39pm
post #9 of 9

Well, if something needs to be done incorrectly - I'm the person for the job!

I thought they were so nice and brown that they had to be done. I'm guessing kids will not complain about extra icing on a cupcake but the parents may not be pleased. I taste tested one and it seemed fine.

I do not want to be sued for food poisoning. Being sued for millions trying to make $.50 for a cupcake would not make hubby happy.

Cupcakes are just not my friends. Cakes I can do - cupcakes seem to whip me.

Thanks for all the help ladies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%