Non Dairy Cake And Icing???

Baking By ngandara Updated 11 Aug 2011 , 2:19am by ngandara

ngandara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngandara Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 10:17pm
post #1 of 8

I have to make a dairy free cake and icing...This is a first and I have found a few recipes but none of them have very good reviews. Any suggestions on where to find a good recipe for the cake and the frosting, ot a recipe you have used personally and liked? Any help is appreciated icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
elizaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizaBakes Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 10:37pm
post #2 of 8

Gosh, sorry can't help you with a non-dairy cake...BUT i can help you with a frosting. In my area I have a sams club/costco and a Smart & Final there you will find either Pasty Pride, Frostin Pride, or Richs Bettercreme all of thses are non-dairy whipped cream frosting that are stableized so they dont melt and hold up pretty well. HTH

ngandara Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 10:49pm
post #3 of 8

Yes! That sure does help! I will have to find someone with a membership there thumbs_up.gif Thanks for the help!!!

CupQuequito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupQuequito Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 10:57pm
post #4 of 8

I don't use dairy in my frosting... nor my cakes. I'm a gourmet vegan cupcake business. Double your shortening, no butter, and there ya go. If you need a creamer texture, just almond or coconut milk (ask for allergies). You can substitute soy butters, milk, for the real thing (I don't use them, but it works). HTH

AliBakes6167 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AliBakes6167 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 11:25pm
post #5 of 8

Hi!

I use this one a lot, it's really good (I made my own frosting with dairy free margerine, shortening, icing sugar, vanilla, coconut extract & crushed pineapple):
http://lovelikeavegan.wordpress.com/2007/05/27/pina-colada-cupcakes-recipe/

And this one has good reviews but I haven't tried it yet:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/vegan-cupcakes/detail.aspx

I would look around on "love like a vegan's" website. they'll all be dairy free since it's a vegan website icon_biggrin.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 11:27pm
post #6 of 8

It's just a matter of substitution. There are almond, coconut, rice and soy milks. Veg shortening for butter and you're good. Easy.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 1:27am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupQuequito

I don't use dairy in my frosting... nor my cakes. I'm a gourmet vegan cupcake business. Double your shortening, no butter, and there ya go. If you need a creamer texture, just almond or coconut milk (ask for allergies). You can substitute soy butters, milk, for the real thing (I don't use them, but it works). HTH

We are also completely dairy-free in our frosting and cakes, except for cream cheese frosting. We use primarily shortening, soy-based margarine, and soy milk (or rice milk for people with soy allergies).

ngandara Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 2:19am
post #8 of 8

WOW! Thank you all so much for all the great advice! Thant really helps icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%