1M Or 2D For Rose Cupcakes?

Baking By banananutmuffin Updated 22 Aug 2011 , 6:09pm by aeballantyne

banananutmuffin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banananutmuffin Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 7

What's the difference between the two tips? Which do you prefer? Why?

6 replies
mfoxx9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfoxx9 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 7

IM is an open star and 2D is a closed star tip. In my opinion, the 1M works better for rose cupcakes. It's hard to explain, but the 2D seems to separate the icing into strands when swirling on a cupcake and doesn't look as smooth. See my photos for my two-tier rosette cake. These rosettes are made with a 1M. HTH!

Lemmers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemmers Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 9:01am
post #3 of 7

Hi! I also use the 1M for my rose swirl cupcakes (check out my photo's for an example).

Valkstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valkstar Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 12:22pm
post #4 of 7

I actually prefer the 2D for rose cupcakes. I have some saved under my photos too.

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 4:50pm
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfoxx9

IM is an open star and 2D is a closed star tip. In my opinion, the 1M works better for rose cupcakes. It's hard to explain, but the 2D seems to separate the icing into strands when swirling on a cupcake and doesn't look as smooth. See my photos for my two-tier rosette cake. These rosettes are made with a 1M. HTH!

x2
I thought I was the only one experiencing that!

1M all the way thumbs_up.gif

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 2:52pm
post #6 of 7

I also use the 1M tip. I find it's a bit of a sturdier rose that is easier to pipe and holds up better in heat and transport, etc. I think the 2D gives a more delicate, pretty rose, but like mfoxx9 wrote, can turn kind of 'strandy' once in a while.

aeballantyne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aeballantyne Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 6:09pm
post #7 of 7

Long time reader, first time poster! Lol...

I've used both, I like both, but I find the 1M easier to taper at the end as you're slowing your pressure and completing the rose. I recently did 200 minis for a wedding, and used both tips, it was nice to have the different textures of rose throughout the display.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%