Baseball Hat Help

Decorating By AngelsFoods Updated 10 Aug 2011 , 12:55pm by tiptop57

AngelsFoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelsFoods Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 12:26pm
post #1 of 4

My son was chosen by a local wish granting organization (for children with illnesses) to throw out the first pitch at a baseball game. As a thank you, I want to make a baseball theme cake with a baseball cap and or jersey on it. PLEASE HELP!!!!!! I have no idea how and only have a 5 days to get it done. I have NEVER made a baseball cap before. Please give any advice/instructions or websites THANKS!!!

3 replies
sweetideas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetideas Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 12:45pm
post #2 of 4

I don't have it in my pix but I did one with a pyrex bowl and my 6" cake pans. (Hat, that is) Only thing is that I would have torted the bowl cake which I hadn't and the cake:frosting ratio was off. Anyway, I used fondant over it. I used my son's baseball cap as a reference to make the bill of the cap out of fondant/gumpaste mix. It was pretty easy. If you go the jersey way, I used a sheet cake, cut out the neck a little and made the bottom curve outward a little, used the lefover pieces for the arms. I did it in buttercream...I took my son's tiger jersey and traced over the D then taped that to my table reversed, then taped a bigger piece of parchment paper over it and did a buttercream transfer (super easy). I used white butter cream to build up the back of the decal and outline the D with. I had to smooth mine out a bit (I think my frosting was too thick) then I refridgerated it until pretty solid. When I put it on the cake it "melted" into the buttercream after a little bit and looked really good! You can make the buttons of the jersey out of fondant. I wish your son the best at fighting his illness.

missv1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missv1973 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 12:53pm
post #3 of 4

I used half of the Wilton sports ball pan for my baseball caps.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 12:55pm
post #4 of 4

One of my very first cakes was a baseball hat.....not as easy as it look, so I understand you nerves.

You will need to use a cake nail in the pyrex bowl so that the cake will bake evenly. Remember to spay it with cake release. You cake use just buttercream on your hat also, but you will need to make the brim out of gumpaste. I would do that right away. If you don't have gumpaste, use fondant with Tylose added to it. You will need to carve the hat a bit as Pyrex bowls have a flat spot that hats do not LOL.

Don't stress out over the cake. Enjoy that pitch!!!!!!!!! And my best to you and your family.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%