Rosewater?

Baking By StormyHaze Updated 10 Aug 2011 , 7:44pm by StormyHaze

StormyHaze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StormyHaze Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 5:21am
post #1 of 12

Hi! So, what exactly is rosewater? Ive seen it in passing recipes, but never bothered to question what it was before. My guess is a type of syrup.. Or water. So what is it? What types of recipes do you use it in? What does it compliment, and to the same effect, what does it not go well with if anything?

11 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 12:24pm
post #2 of 12

Rosewater is water with essence of rose. It's going to have a very floral taste to it. I've never used it for that reason. But I know in the Middle East it's used very frequently in many recipes.

If you do a Google search you can probably come up with some good ideas on how to use it.

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 12:32pm
post #3 of 12

I know that it is used to make "Turkish Delight" which is a candy we have in the UK, but originates in the Middle East.

enchantedcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedcreations Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 12

Hi StormyHaze,

I've use rosewater. I combine 1 teaspoon w/ a vanilla cake mix. Be careful, this stuff is very potent....LOL. I then added another 1 1/2 teaspoons to Sugarshacks recipe for buttercream icing. In between each layer of cake and icing, I sprinkled crushed pistachios. To finish it off, I placed some fresh raspberries on top of the cake as well as some whole pistachios and some more broken pistachios. I would upload a pic, but all I have are the ones on my cell phone and cake central won't accept them (too big??) If anyone can tell me how to get the picture uploaded, I'll give it a shot.

I've gotten great reviews regarding this cake. You just have to be careful with the amount of rosewater you use. Like I said, it's strong stuff.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 2:12pm
post #5 of 12

I use rosewater all the time for all kinds of things. I make a facial "equalizer" out of it, combining it with witch hazel and orange flower water. I put it in frostings, cakes, royal icings, etc. etc. You don't need much, no more than 1 TBSP for a large batch of anything. It has a subtle flavor when baked into a cake. I've never done the rose petal cake but there's a recipe with real rose petal and rose water baked into the cake. I've heard it's to die for from those who have tried it. You can find it at Indian and Middle Eastern cook stores and occasionally hippie shops will have it. It's pretty inexpensive, no more than $3.00 for a bottle (and that's the expensive stuff.) I would suggest buying a small bottle and trying it out -- see how you like it!! icon_biggrin.gif

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 2:17pm
post #6 of 12

I went to a specialty store and bought both rose water and rose syrup. rose water is exactly what AnnieCahill said. it's clear with a strong taste. rose syrup is actually red, super sugary and very thick. I haven's used the syrup because i'm scared it will make my already too sweet bc much sweeter but i have used to rose water to give it a nice rose taste. hth

enchantedcreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enchantedcreations Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 2:38pm
post #7 of 12

You can purchase it at liqueur stores too. I get mine at Total Wines.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 3:03pm
post #8 of 12

Yes, use sparingly.

bakencake, do you know the ingredients in rose syrup? I guess I've made "rose water syrup" which might be different. From this recipe.

http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/recipe/rose-water-madeleines

(step 4)

I've never seen rose syrup. Going to research now.

StormyHaze Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 7:17pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

I use rosewater all the time for all kinds of things. I make a facial "equalizer" out of it, combining it with witch hazel and orange flower water. I put it in frostings, cakes, royal icings, etc. etc. You don't need much, no more than 1 TBSP for a large batch of anything. It has a subtle flavor when baked into a cake. I've never done the rose petal cake but there's a recipe with real rose petal and rose water baked into the cake. I've heard it's to die for from those who have tried it. You can find it at Indian and Middle Eastern cook stores and occasionally hippie shops will have it. It's pretty inexpensive, no more than $3.00 for a bottle (and that's the expensive stuff.) I would suggest buying a small bottle and trying it out -- see how you like it!! icon_biggrin.gif

Real rose petals inside the cake??
Ive never heard of such a thing! Do you think you coould give me that recipe? I would mose definatley get the rose water to try that recipe.

Thanks for the heads up on where to look for it, I had no idea where to start.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 7:27pm
post #10 of 12

I don't have the recipe but I'm sure if you googled it something would come up. Just be careful what roses you use -- pesticides and all.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 7:31pm
post #11 of 12
StormyHaze Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 7:44pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

I have this one. Haven't made it, though.

http://www.aycinena.com/index2/index3/archive/angel%20garden%20cake%20with%20berries.html

12 larg egg whites?? Ive never seen a recipe use so many!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%