Grrrr Im Trying To Do A Whipped Frosting

Baking By angelleyes Updated 10 Aug 2011 , 2:11pm by GarciaGM

angelleyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelleyes Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 10:27pm
post #1 of 12

and it's not coming out.. I followed the directions to a T and I have no Idea what i'm doing wrong...Here's the recipe if you guys have any suggestion I would love to hear them on what I could of done wrong

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/fluffy-white-frosting/Detail.aspx

11 replies
angelleyes Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 12:00am
post #2 of 12

Anyone??

krumbledkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krumbledkakes Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 12:14am
post #3 of 12

Hmm...are you letting the sugar/water/cream of tarter mixture cool after removing it from the heat? I don't know if that would make a difference or not ( I imagine it would cook the egg whites). Are peaks forming at all for you or is it just staying runny?

angelleyes Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 12:33am
post #4 of 12

the peaks are not forming at all.. I was told it could be my bowl??????The recipe didnt' say that it should be cool or not

GarciaGM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GarciaGM Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 12:43am
post #5 of 12

I've always understood that when you whip egg whites like that, it's best to have them at room temperature. I've also understood that any vessel you use for whipping them must be 100% free of ANY residue or else it will keep them from forming peaks. I'm certain the intent of the recipe is for the boiled syrup to cook the egg whites, so I wouldn't recommend letting it cool first.

When you added the syrup, did you add it slowly in a steady stream with the mixer running?

angelleyes Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 12:44am
post #6 of 12

I'm going to try it again now.. fingers crossed lol

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 2:28am
post #7 of 12

Is it not whipping up?? If that is the problem wash all your utensils, whip and bowl and wipe with vinegar, and let it dry and start all over. Sometimes the slightest amount of greasre won't allow you to whip the egg whites. Make sure you bring the sugar syrup to the right temperature and you should be fine.

krumbledkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krumbledkakes Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 5:31am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarciaGM

I've always understood that when you whip egg whites like that, it's best to have them at room temperature. I've also understood that any vessel you use for whipping them must be 100% free of ANY residue or else it will keep them from forming peaks. I'm certain the intent of the recipe is for the boiled syrup to cook the egg whites, so I wouldn't recommend letting it cool first.

When you added the syrup, did you add it slowly in a steady stream with the mixer running?

That totally makes sense that it needs to cook the eggs so you aren't serving raw eggs, but I always imagine poached eggs whenever I think about doing a frosting recipe like that lol. With my luck, that's what would happen

angelleyes Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 5:45am
post #9 of 12

lol .. Well I got it to peak a little... then it just stopped... maybe I should of whipped it longer who knows... but trust me I have the same luck...

Curtsmin24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Curtsmin24 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 6:22am
post #10 of 12

It might just be the weather. My usual cookie recipe came out different than it usually does. Made it hundreds of times but today it doesn't want to cooperate. To make things worse the air conditioner went haywire. Oh how I love Florida weather icon_wink.gif

Baker_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker_Rose Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 2:00pm
post #11 of 12

If you have high humidity then this type of recipe will be wonky. It's just a fact of life, even with an air conditioner. Any time you work with egg whites and sugar or are making candy etc the humidity plays a large role in the outcome.

Tami icon_smile.gif

GarciaGM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GarciaGM Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 2:11pm
post #12 of 12

Yes, I have to agree with everyone who's mentioning the humidity - it will kill your peaks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%