Perma Ice

Decorating By Mariarose1015 Updated 31 Aug 2011 , 12:49am by tpsg

Mariarose1015 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mariarose1015 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 9

I read posts from people who have used Perma Ice for dummy cakes. They say to coat the dummy with Perma Ice and then use royal icing to decorate. The purpose being that you can wash off the royal icing and reuse the dummy as the perma ice will not wash off. The can says perma ice should not come in contact with any sugar icing. It also says to use acrylic paints to color Perma ice. Colors can bleed if using royal icing. I am making display cakes for a bakery. What do I use to decorate this cake? The can also says to create a barrier between royal and perma ice with hot glue. I'm putting a transfer on this cake. I can't coat the whole thing with hot glue. Can I use acrylic paint to color my royal? Help please!

8 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariarose1015

The can says perma ice should not come in contact with any sugar icing.

Quote:

Can I use acrylic paint to color my royal?

I assume you could, but why are you using royal icing when the can says not to use sugar icing? (I'm sure you could apply fully-dried RI decorations.)

Quote:

What do I use to decorate this cake?

I'd use the synthetic spackle from the hardware store... you can decorate with it and add RI decorations to it (even if the dummies are iced with it).

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 5:45pm
post #3 of 9

I've used PermaIce and I just have one word of caution. Do NOT, under any circumstances, wash off the PI off your spatulas, bowls, beaters, etc in your sink. Wipe everything completely clean with paper towels and throw those away, then wash the items as normal. If PI gets in your drains, little bits of it will be floating up for months and months.

Ask me how I know.

Mariarose1015 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 7:18pm
post #4 of 9

I read posts from people who have used Perma Ice for dummy cakes. They say to coat the dummy with Perma Ice and then use royal icing to decorate. The purpose being that you can wash off the royal icing and reuse the dummy as the perma ice will not wash off.
That's why I wanted to use the RI.

Mariarose1015 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 6:46am
post #5 of 9

Bakeries often ice cakes with Perma Ice and decorate with royal icing. The royal icing may be washed off, but the Perma Ice remains and may be redecorated.

This is the last line of the discription on the Country Kitchen web site. So I got confused when I got the product and it said not to let it come in contact with sugar icing.

pusskin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pusskin Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 8:34am
post #6 of 9

Could it be that if sugar icing comes in contact with perma ice it leaches chemicals into the sugar icing. That would mean that whilst you can use RI to decorate on perma ice any cross contamination should be vigourusly avoided.

You're right though it is confusing of them to say different things on the packaging to the web site.

Yours aye
Puss

Mariarose1015 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 1:36pm
post #7 of 9

I've been doing a test piece since yesterday. Green and purple RI on white perma ice. So far no bleeding. I want to see if maybe with some time, if the perma ice breaks down the RI and it falls off. LOL I don't know. PI was dry. RI was applied wet. Thanks for your input.

SweetToothCakesbyCrystal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetToothCakesbyCrystal Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 4:52am
post #8 of 9

I just ordered one gallon of the PI ... I want to achieve a buttercream look on the entire cake, so it is necessary to ice the dummy cake with RI on top of the PI? Or will the PI by itself look like buttercream?

Also, do you think 1 gallon of PI is enough to cover 5", 8", 11", and 15" (rounds)?

tpsg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tpsg Posted 31 Aug 2011 , 12:49am
post #9 of 9

Hi there,

Would anyone with a bucket of Perma-Ice be so kind as to post the ingredients? I can't find them anywhere!

Thanks so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%