Graduation Cake Disaster!

Decorating By proudmommaof3 Updated 12 Aug 2011 , 5:48am by LadyTangerine

proudmommaof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
proudmommaof3 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 4:06pm
post #1 of 5

I am not a professional cake maker. I will only make cakes for my kids (cuz they think my cakes are beautiful even when they're not...they are too sweet) and family members who ask. Well my nephew asked me to make his grad cake (his sisters turned out great). He wanted it sports themed. Easy enough. I made all the balls early enough to harden...looked super. My sister wanted the bowling ball to be cake (which I was going to cover a styrofoam ball to make it easy on myself...should have listened to myself). Needless to say, I set up the cake at my sisters house. Looked amazing. Next thing you know the bowling ball rolled off the cake (it had the cap and tassel on it, too) which broke the whole corner of the cake and broke all the tassels off. I was so bummed. I told everyone that I retired from making cakes...too stressful. My other nephew is begging me to make his next year...he gave me the puppy eyes so I couldn't resist.

4 replies
Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 1:15am
post #2 of 5

I guess if you don't enjoy making cakes anymore, then fair enough - a hobby is supposed to be enjoyable after all. But if you still enjoy making cakes you should keep making them...even if the results don't always work out (which happens to everyone sometimes, by the way!)

Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 5

Just wondering if you could have prevented this by using a dowel to hold the bowling ball onto the other cake. That's what I did with a car on a sheet cake, a train on a sheet cake and a tub on a sheet cake. Hope that makes sense. Just measure the depth of the cake and the ball and insert a dowel into the cake and drop the ball on top. Just make sure the dowel isn't so long that in comes through the ball. Good luck next time.

proudmommaof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
proudmommaof3 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 4:50pm
post #4 of 5

Should have, but didn't. Still in the learning process. Thank for the advise. Next time I will remember that. I do loving making them although they never come out the way I plan them to! Bummer

LadyTangerine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyTangerine Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 5:48am
post #5 of 5

Never give up on something you love! Disasters happen to everyone, it's always a learning process icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%