Terrified To Try It !

Decorating By cakemonster7713 Updated 9 Aug 2011 , 6:51pm by Lcubed82

cakemonster7713 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemonster7713 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 2:28pm
post #1 of 5

i really want to try a topsy turvy cake with fondant with lots of decoration but 2 problems 1 . i dont have a theme for decoration and 2. im scared of ripping the fondant . ive purchased the mat to help me but still icon_rolleyes.gif

thanks sooooo much

4 replies
Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 4:29pm
post #2 of 5

Pick a time to do your cake when it is just for you, not for a customer. No deadline to meet!

If not handy with fondant, cover it with buttercream. That way you can try the carving/stacking without extra worries the first time.

You'll never learn if you don't jump in! Just reduce the stressors as much as possible so you can have fun. Maybe this first one, you don't even decorate, just stack and ice/cover. I served my first at a party with just the ganache covering, carved, but not stacked. I decided to stop and enjoy my party instead of trying to finish.

Shelley51708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelley51708 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 4:57pm
post #3 of 5

I have a question Lcubed82- I have the topsy turvy pans (5 tiers!!)....since I have the pans, do I still need to carve the cake? It seems like the cake pan makes it slanted...am I wrong?

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 6:02pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley51708

I have a question Lcubed82- I have the topsy turvy pans (5 tiers!!)....since I have the pans, do I still need to carve the cake? It seems like the cake pan makes it slanted...am I wrong?

All you have to do is cut the holes in the top of your tiers for the above tier to sit in (so it sits level rather than slanted, the topsy turvy is an illusion)

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 5

Shelley, I have not worked with the special topsy turvy pans. It looks like the shape of the pan should replace having to cut the angle for the top of each tier. I would think about cutting the space in each tier for the next one up to rest in. (There are several good tutorials for this on YouTube; I like Janelle's.) After cutting that area down, and covering with icing or fondant, then you peg the tiers just as you would for regular flat tiers.

I think some people stack catywhompus without cutting the area out. For me, this seems like it would get really off balance really quickly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%