Choc Mud Cakes Semi-Uncooked But Skewer Coming Out Clean

Baking By keiza07 Updated 10 Aug 2011 , 12:08am by Bluehue

keiza07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keiza07 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 5:27am
post #1 of 4

I have a problem with baking cakes. Not all of my cakes, just choc mud cakes. I put them in the oven and test with a skewer which always comes out clean but when I go to cut and torte, its not done in the middle. Why is this? Its very frustrating, especially because I dont always cut and torte and only find out when the cake is being cut by the recipient. I dont seem to have the same problem when I bake white choc mud or buttercakes, but I did have the issue when I baked my last red velvet, which Ive never had a problem with before. I dont use the flower nail method or baking strips. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I dont know what to do but its put me off baking choc mud cakes.

icon_sad.gif

3 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 7:14am
post #2 of 4

Perhaps trying testing your Chocolate Mud Cakes with a wooden toothpick - as that will give you a true indication as to the middle of your cakes.
Metal skewers are ususally cold and when you insert them into the cake the *crumb* of the cake won't always adhere to it - (mud cakes especially)

Or you could try knocking your temp down by 20C and cook for longer.

Not ure where in the owrld yu are so it culd either be C or F depending on your oven.

Bluehue.

keiza07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keiza07 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks Bluehue. I'm in Australia so it's a C. Will try the wooden skewer and lowering the temp. I looked at a few pics last night and it seems that the pics in books kind of look like my cakes when I cut them so maybe they are only slightly undercooked and not as disastrous as Ithought.

Thanks for the tips.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 12:08am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by keiza07

Thanks Bluehue. I'm in Australia so it's a C. Will try the wooden skewer and lowering the temp. I looked at a few pics last night and it seems that the pics in books kind of look like my cakes when I cut them so maybe they are only slightly undercooked and not as disastrous as Ithought.

Thanks for the tips.....Your welcome..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%