Atlernative To Candy Coatings For Cake Pops

Decorating By tdovewings Updated 9 Aug 2011 , 2:01am by deeb173

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 12:42am
post #1 of 8

My twins requested cake pops for their birthday, the problem is they are allergic to dairy. Everything I've read about cake pops use candy coatings (can't find dairy free coatings) or chocolate for dipping. I can use chocolate (vegan), but they don't like chocolate. Dairy-free white chocolate is virtually non-existent. What else can I do for a white coating aside from candy melts?

7 replies
cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 12:45am
post #2 of 8

How about a thick powdered sugar/water type of icing? Like used on petit fours.

instant-gratificaketion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
instant-gratificaketion Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 12:56am
post #3 of 8

I was also going to suggest petit four icing.

Shermie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shermie1 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 12:57am
post #4 of 8

I would suggest a poured fondant icing. Mix one cup hot water, add 1/4 cup corn syrup stir until disolved. Add 3 lbs powdered sugar and stir with a wire whisk until mixed . Microwave for 3 minutes stirring in 30 second intervals. Mixture will be smooth and shiny
Add 2 teaspoons flavoring of choice and a few drop of food coloring in desired color. Drop cake balls in and lift out onto wire cooling rack. Heat warm fondant as needed to maintain consistency and continue to dip.

louanne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louanne Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 1:04am
post #5 of 8

you can buy chocolate and white chocolate from chocoley and it is dairy free and gluten nut free, its a little pricy but very delicious.

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 1:06am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakestyles

How about a thick powdered sugar/water type of icing? Like used on petit fours.

Or a little thinner like a donut glaze and roll them in sprinkles. Like a vanilla dipped donut! Mmmmmm!

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 1:34am
post #7 of 8

Petit four icing or pour fondant, marvelous! Why didn't I think of that--sometimes you just need an extra brain! I'll have to try Chocoley as well, beats making my own white chocolate (my next experiment from this vegan recipe I saw). Life is so hard without dairy--but we are creatively working through it.

deeb173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deeb173 Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 2:01am
post #8 of 8

I have also coated them with royal icing. It takes a while to set up and can be runny if you don't get it thick enough. But it makes a neat crunchy candy shell. I did this for a benefit and knew they would be sitting out for a while in the hot Texas sun. They held up wonderfully.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%