Price Per Slice? (Not A "how Much To Charge" Post

Decorating By jess605 Updated 8 Aug 2011 , 10:05pm by mariacakestoo

jess605 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jess605 Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 5

This isn't a how much should I charge post. Rather, just curious, how much do you charge for your cakes? I know it varies tremendously by location. I am still a novice and put together a price sheet based on what I can do and what others in my area charge.

Curious though, what do people charge per slice?

I start at $3.75/slice and go up depending on the flavors, style, details. Most of the cakes I've sold are around $4.25/slice.

About 6mo ago, I really underpriced a cake. I actually sent a pic of my cake to 5 local bakeries and asked how much they would charge to re-create it. I got responses back that were 2-3 times what I'd charged, and at that point I seriously looked into what to charge and made a pricing sheet that I don't stray from.

4 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 5

We charge anywhere from ~$2.50/serving for a basic half sheet BC cake to ~$3.50/serving for a basic 8" round BC cake to $5-7+/serving for multi-tiered cakes.

This is in CA, which requires a licensed and inspected commercial kitchen to legally sell food.

Bugaboo_Bakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bugaboo_Bakery Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 9:54pm
post #3 of 5

My cakes start off at 3.00 per slice. As decorations, fillings, fondant, etc are added on the prices go up.

I also have a permit and commercial kitchen, which gets inspected by the health department so I add the price of those into my cakes too.

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 9:57pm
post #4 of 5

$3 butter cream, $4 fondant, $6 topsy turvy.

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 8 Aug 2011 , 10:05pm
post #5 of 5

And don't forget minimums as well. I start at $5.00 a serving. That doesn't mean I'm selling a two tiered cake that serves 15 for $75.00, I'd be broke and very unhappy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%