What Am I Still Doing Wrong? ( New Smooth Cakes)

Decorating By step0nmi Updated 10 Aug 2011 , 1:45pm by FlourPots

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 4:57am
post #31 of 38

Thank you. has to be a proper recipe at the proper consistency, correct tools and some practice!!

FleurDeCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FleurDeCake Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 5:28am
post #32 of 38

I'm tellin ya get the Perfecting The Art of Buttercream from Sugar Ed ... she is the master .. believe me I know I have her DVD and I have taken her class here in Louisiana and since doing so my cakes have risen to a much higher level of smoooooooth perfection.... you can thank me later Sharon .. LOL

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 2:02pm
post #33 of 38

just for the heck of it...I'm going to try and make SMBC tonight. I've wanted to try it but i really don't think it's going to hold up well in the 70+% humidity here. so, it's an experiment icon_smile.gif

maybe i will ask for the DVD for an xmas present icon_biggrin.gif lol...probably get it sooner than that!

bakencake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakencake Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 2:17pm
post #34 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakencake

Am I the only one who has a "lip" or a roll on the top edge of my cake? what am i doing wrong? icon_cry.gif

are you referring to your frosting? if so, this may be because you have too much frosting on the top. Also, i find that this happens if I do smooth my sides and THEN do the top of the cake. HTH icon_smile.gif

It is a frosting lip. sorry for not clarifying it. I will try your hint the next time i try to frost. i do go crazy with the bc. thank you!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 9 Aug 2011 , 2:32pm
post #35 of 38
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

Quote:

Am I the only one who has a "lip" or a roll on the top edge of my cake? what am i doing wrong? icon_cry.gif

are you referring to your frosting? if so, this may be because you have too much frosting on the top. Also, i find that this happens if I do smooth my sides and THEN do the top of the cake. HTH icon_smile.gif

It is a frosting lip. sorry for not clarifying it. I will try your hint the next time i try to frost. i do go crazy with the bc. thank you!

oh, another thing i just learned...if you do the sides of your cake and then frost with your spatula, or tool of choice, for the top...make your tool come from the outside of the cake and smooth the frosting to the middle of the cake. don't go from inside the middle of the cake out. obviously your tool would be level with what you're doing and this creates a better edge then just slopping the frosting on the top and then smearing it around trying to get the excess off. So, if you don't start with a lot of bc on the top you can add a little extra by pulling that excess from your sides inward icon_biggrin.gif

hope that makes sense icon_redface.gif

ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 1:04pm
post #36 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by teezed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfectionsCC

Get Perfecting the Art of Buttercream DVD from Sugared productions. I swear it WILL WORK for you!!! It takes the right bc, and the right techniques. Since watching that DVD, I have become obsessed with making my BC smooth! Even so though, all cakes will have some imperfections icon_biggrin.gif Got a picture of my naked cake tier on this post to prove it works!
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2118147

Do u know if it's possible to get to order a copy of that DVD online and get it shipped to africa? Having the same problem with buttercream as well...

I am pretty sure she does!! Very well worth the investment in them!!! I switched to her BC recipe as well. It is a crusting, butterless, very very tasty recipe and it smooths out like glass! I do not use the SMBC because of the heat and humidity of the South! Trust me ya'll, you can learn a lot about buttercream here on CC and youtube and google, but none of the techniques found online compare to the work you learn in the DVDs!!! She trouble shoots all the problems from bulges, to crisp edges, including that bc "lip"!!!

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 1:43pm
post #37 of 38

Can someone post a link to where we can purchase the DVD? Thanks. icon_smile.gif

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 1:45pm
post #38 of 38

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%